Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Fun Arctic Trivia/History
« Last post by Rhak on Today at 12:27:19 AM »
Some neat things can be found on usenet archives-

Subject: Re: Which DikuMud is the oldest? --> Was: Re: Return of Generic MUD
Date: 1996/12/28
Message-ID: <32C4BC20.1DC4@crl.com>#1/1
X-Deja-AN: 206349982
references: <19961216104400.FAA06785@ladder01.news.aol.com> <593u1l$t5s@herald.concentric.net> <32B636BD.45A@pt.hk-r.se> <59m9qf$ilk@info.service.rug.nl>
content-type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
organization: CRL Dialup Internet Access
mime-version: 1.0
reply-to: crb...@crl.com
newsgroups: rec.games.mud.diku
x-mailer: Mozilla 3.0Gold (Win95; I)

Are you guys debating what the oldest _currently running_ Diku
is or just what the first one was?

I know I started working on Arctic during X-Mas Break '91.  Wrote the
Ogre Hills during vacation.  It was the first original zone
of what ended up being Arctic's new "world".

If you're arguing about which currently running mud is oldest, I'd have
to put Arctic up there somewhere. 

Rumor has it the current Imps of Arctic secured a new machine.
Should be fun.  Take a look at "www.arctic.org" if interested.

-Chris
 Baphomet@Arctic
« Last post by gnua on February 18, 2018, 10:01:50 AM »
Temple of Orcus? Was this the zone that got removed that was near Palanthas and had the really hard hitting stone giants? I seem to recall being jumped by Roger and some other Shriners in that zone. If they had jumped us 2 ticks earlier, we had 2 triple obliterating stone giant animates in the room that might have helped change the outcome of that fight...

we all called it "Pelmen's" back in the day.  if memory serves correctly, we only had the animates because you had located the animate book on watahantowet a couple of days earlier.
« Last post by Homard on February 17, 2018, 03:07:05 PM »
  One of my favorite all time moments on arctic was fighting Morgion at the Solace fountain.  He had two giant lightning hammers and you were supposed to win something if you beat him.  My level 14 newbie ranger lasted 1.5 rounds.  He was nice to me afterwards though and gave me and a buddy enchanted swords that hit like a truck.

« Last post by Rhak on February 17, 2018, 01:36:16 AM »
Spackles secrets is just an alternate name for Gal'Vari Isle, still in the game.
« Last post by kanu on February 16, 2018, 04:28:38 PM »
Anyone know what zone Spackles Secrets was?
« Last post by Rhak on February 15, 2018, 02:58:28 AM »
If anyone is feeling nostalgic about the old Mino Isle zone I also just found a note about it-

April 1st, 2001
Village of Mortigoth added. (Xitobi modified the old mino isle into this)

substitute ogre with minotaur and go to town
« Last post by Rhak on February 15, 2018, 02:40:29 AM »
Witchlin Fen I had seen the name before but have absolutely no idea what this zone was-
old Mino Isle all I remember about it was it being bland and having a couple of nice pieces of equipment, end mob might've been named Bul
Caverns of Lloth ended up being remade/re-imagined as Theiwar Caverns.  The old zone ended with Lloth the spider queen, only thing I remember of that was the mob breathing acid and fragging the hell out of everything.  New zone has some sort of theme around the Theiwar trying to summon Lloth from another dimension or something, but the mob itself doesn't exist anymore.

Celestial having so little time is very odd, I'd guess that might be when it was added to the game? Or possibly was delinked for a time or moved to a new location and hadn't been rediscovered.

I tried searching the news for anything on the Resaina zone but nothing came up, seems to have only been in the game from April '97 to Jan '98 too, maybe had some problems that got noticed and never got fixed.

Some other funny random stuff I passed by in the news that people may remember, laws being introduced to the game.  Doing anything aggressive within a town, including stealing from and killing certain mobs would flag you with crimes and make guards attack on sight and yell to the town about your crimes.  Some or maybe all would last a decent amount of time also, I want to say one or two game days.  I think you could go to a judge in one or some towns, used to be like judge Wapner or some dumb name in Kalaman and pay fines to get rid of your crime flags.

Also diseases being added to the game was pretty funny at first, they spread incredibly easy and would spread from players to mobs just from being in the same room with probably no immunity flags on anything at the time.  This lead to someone getting a disease in a zone then recalling, giving it to the innkeeper, shopkeepers, guildmasters, who in turn gave it to every other person that came into town.  Every person and mob you ran into would be coughing and sneezing and it was near impossible to get rid of it for more than a few minutes.

For the part of the original post asking about overlords, April 23, 2000 news has the first mention of Aristox stepping in to relieve Cale as overlord.  He ran and shaped the game for by far the longest, a bit over sixteen years out of the ~26 that the game has been going.  Most of the rest that were the main figurehead probably did it for about a year at a time at most.  A few in the couple of years before him were Flint (possibly also as Barkhor?), Goldmoon (maybe also briefly as Carp), Morgion, I think Mahasamarahu came back for like a month at some point
« Last post by kanu on February 14, 2018, 10:28:26 AM »
Based on the 95 statsistics, these are zones I never got to see even once:

Witchlin Fen
old Minotaur Isle
Caverns of Lloth

Also, I was surprised as hell to see in November 95, Celestial Temple at only 2.5 total player hours. That zone probably still gets at least that many hours EACH day now.
« Last post by kanu on February 14, 2018, 10:19:06 AM »
Okay, I think you are right. I never learned why that zone was removed actually, does anyone know?
« Last post by Rhak on February 13, 2018, 01:19:23 AM »
Temple of Orcus was the old name of Temple of Hiddukel, pretty sure it was always in Balifor.  You might be thinking of Dragoncult of Rensai or however it was spelled.  It had a bunch of weird mobs, a mummy at some point, a dragon that only became killable through a zone quest, can't remember what else, pretty sure it was somewhere east of Palanthas, probably taken out of the game around 97-98.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10