Author Topic: Being a liberal republican....  (Read 3275 times)

snax

Being a liberal republican....
« on: September 24, 2015, 09:29:37 PM »
So, republicans are supposed to be bible thumping generally pro business wealthy people, who are sane, calm, and ready to squash a stranger like a cockroach and say "GET A JOB".

As I enter into my 2nd temporary roomate situation in the last 3 months, I have to say, that I'm apalled by the lack of social net programs for people who are getting shit upon.  I have a good family, a great wife, and with an inch more stupidity I'ld been with the last 2 temporary roomates looking for somewhere to live without a safety net.

Here's how it has worked the last few months:  A person I don't know at all shows up at my door with a kid, and says I need a home, I know your wife or I met your wife; I say okay come on in, and make yourself comfortable -- then I tell my wife I'll make the rest work out (forcing a smile which is really a grimace).

I am starting to wonder how many more strangers will come living with me, my kids, my mum with dementia, and wife over the next few years.  But despite the income gap, and despite all the republican bullshit "get a job" obviously there is some serious deficiency in the system.

Both of the roomates came with young kids.  Both times it's sucked.  A LOT.  I establish departure guidelines and assist with money/job placement/anything I can to keep my pants zipped up.  Both times they've been younger women than me.  I think we need to really look at the underlying causes because I'm not running a hostel or a hotel, and I'm highly doubting that this cycle is going to end for me anytime soon.

-r

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
Re: Being a liberal republican....
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 11:52:37 AM »
so you see a direct link with these problems and republicans? hahaha.

i think republicans and democrats are only real in the news.  in the real world i find people dont give a shit about neither and try to use commen sense.  but democrats dont have that so that is where the line is drawn...

Kuss

• Fodder
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 12:23:50 AM »
This is a problem created by democrats. The notion that you can do whatever you feel like, and start a family even if you can't support one financially; and your neighbors will pay for it is almost entirely on the shoulders of dems.

It jives with most of the demographics that support them.

Although I hate the extreme left, it's much easier to rein in than the extreme right.  The Trump wing of the right (which was started by the tea party) is dangerous and now even the Republican establishment is understanding how bad an idea it was to stoke those fires.

"those who foolishly sought power by riding the back of the tiger ended up inside." - the moderate and establishment Republicans found the tea party to be useful idiots, and they're now being devoured by them.

Bryton

• Zoner
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 02:29:50 PM »
So, republicans are supposed to be bible thumping generally pro business wealthy people, who are sane, calm, and ready to squash a stranger like a cockroach and say "GET A JOB".

As I enter into my 2nd temporary roomate situation in the last 3 months, I have to say, that I'm apalled by the lack of social net programs for people who are getting shit upon.  I have a good family, a great wife, and with an inch more stupidity I'ld been with the last 2 temporary roomates looking for somewhere to live without a safety net.

Here's how it has worked the last few months:  A person I don't know at all shows up at my door with a kid, and says I need a home, I know your wife or I met your wife; I say okay come on in, and make yourself comfortable -- then I tell my wife I'll make the rest work out (forcing a smile which is really a grimace).

I am starting to wonder how many more strangers will come living with me, my kids, my mum with dementia, and wife over the next few years.  But despite the income gap, and despite all the republican bullshit "get a job" obviously there is some serious deficiency in the system.

Both of the roomates came with young kids.  Both times it's sucked.  A LOT.  I establish departure guidelines and assist with money/job placement/anything I can to keep my pants zipped up.  Both times they've been younger women than me.  I think we need to really look at the underlying causes because I'm not running a hostel or a hotel, and I'm highly doubting that this cycle is going to end for me anytime soon.

-r

I also fail to see how you blame the republican party for these peoples situations. These young women should be having kids if they can't afford to take care of them.
What happens is the democrat pitches government support for all people that get themselves into bad situations. The democrat fully know that the government welfare program is awful and broken. But they continue to pitch welfare because it gets them votes from the 40 percent of America thats on it. Democrats are creating the mindset that if you don't work, you deserve the same new Air Jordan shoes as the guy that does work. It sounds great but in all reality they should be buying Shaq shoes at Walmart.

Gyp

• Immortal
  • Fodder
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 06:13:02 PM »
It's good to see republicans helping out democrats.  kudos to you for helping those poor bastards.

kanu

• Fodder
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 03:52:35 PM »
What services would you put into place if you wanted to make young people less likely to have kids they can't afford?

Oh maybe information about birth control and health care that provides it. A condom and some health education is a lot cheaper than welfare for a kid for 18 years.

But hrmm. Who opposes this kind of program? Maybe they are at fault for not providing the cheap, preventative care?

eli

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 10:34:33 AM »
I also fail to see how you blame the republican party for these peoples situations. These young women should be having kids if they can't afford to take care of them.
What happens is the democrat pitches government support for all people that get themselves into bad situations. The democrat fully know that the government welfare program is awful and broken. But they continue to pitch welfare because it gets them votes from the 40 percent of America thats on it. Democrats are creating the mindset that if you don't work, you deserve the same new Air Jordan shoes as the guy that does work. It sounds great but in all reality they should be buying Shaq shoes at Walmart.

This isn't true at all. You want/wish these things but reality is reality. You can't just say "these young women shouldn't be having kids if they can't afford to take care of them". While you may be right that these women shouldn't be having kids you can't just wish or will it to happen. People are gonna bapt, alcohol is gonna make people do stupid things. Democrats just realize that people are gonna do stupid things but that's not a reason to let them fall through the cracks and punish them further making them more and more reliant on govt benefits. We all have made bad decisions in our lives and sometimes they stick with us forever and sometimes we get past them. Republicans are all about pro-life (prior to birth, then go bapt yourself) and personal responsibility but you can't force that on everyone and even if you could people are STILL going to make bad/stupid decisions.

No one is pitching welfare because it gets them votes. Democrats pitch social equality so it gets them votes. Equal access to college, to health care, freedom from bankruptcy if you get sick, the ability to have medical care despite a pre-existing condition. Republicans are just playing on people's fears.

The vitriol you are spewing here is pure fox news propaganda that appeals to the lowest common denominator among uneducated republicans (you), to rev them up, get them angry, blame poor people, blame immigrants, blame black people, make them nostalgic for how america used to be (mostly white), and get them out to vote. America is changing and so are its values. Same-sex marriage is legal, marijuana legalized in several states and more coming. The america you are nostalgic for is a thing of the past and not coming back. Time to come to terms with that. Let's figure out how to deal with the issues facing us today like the massive income inequality that has plagued us since the 1970s, the lack of taxes paid by US corporations, the insane subsidies we give companies who pay minimum wage in the form of government benefits for their full-time employees, and the worst of all, the corrosive influence of money in politics.

Conservatism has value in modern day America but it needs to evolve beyond the hate and fear mongering conservatives are using now to get votes. How about proposing actual policies? Have an agenda besides "block everything the black guy in the white house wants"? Repeal obamacare.. fine? but replace it with what? *crickets*

Offer something. ANYTHING. Or you can just continue to blame the poor, the immigrants, etc.

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 10:40:37 AM »
pro - choice.

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zoner
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 11:21:52 AM »
I thought I was pro-choice. Then I had a son. Life is too precious to destroy because it is not convenient to raise a child. There are very few circumstances where I would be pro choice these days.

Eli are you saying children are a " bad or stupid decision?"  Do you have children? Don't blame children for the behavior of their parents.

And yes I am looking at adopting after our second child.

Gramm

• Zone Leader
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 11:40:34 AM »
right now if my girly had a kid, it would be poorly raised with minimal income and would literally live a shit life, because i made a shitty decision to have it. when im financially stable it will be a more responsible decision to have it.
if i had a kid now, i would show up at randys doorstep and thats bad. well not all that bad i do like randy, but its wrong for me to make a bad decision that will totally ruin both whatever shit life i would have given it, and randys life by showing up at his doorstep.
im glad your child worked out.

eli

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 12:43:56 PM »
I thought I was pro-choice. Then I had a son. Life is too precious to destroy because it is not convenient to raise a child. There are very few circumstances where I would be pro choice these days.

Eli are you saying children are a " bad or stupid decision?"  Do you have children? Don't blame children for the behavior of their parents.

And yes I am looking at adopting after our second child.

I don't have children yet--just married 4 months ago.

I'm not saying children are a stupid or bad decision in general but in some cases it's not wise for some people to have children. Like Gramm said, if you dont have your shit together, no job, no way to support your child then you shouldn't have a child. Two very dear friends of mine got pregnant at 19yrs old. No way did they have the means or capacity to raise a child so they aborted. One doesn't regret the decision at all, the other was shook up so bad he became a born again christian.

My true feelings are that it is not my business, and certainly not our government's business to regulate what a woman can do with her body. My only reservation is that the father usually has no say. I'd rather abortion than a child born in to a world where it will be unloved and uncared for. I get the moral argument I really do but it's just not persuasive enough for me.

Master Mike

• Favorite Zone: FourSkulls.org
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 06:12:26 AM »
Eli is blah... cannot stand to hear his idiotic idealology. But i agree the undesirables shouldnt have kids but if they do at least we got some planed parenthood to thin them out a bit.

Dyl

• Zoner
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 09:30:50 AM »
at least we got some planed parenthood to thin them out a bit.
Not if those republicans have anything to say about it.

eli

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 09:40:23 AM »
Eli is blah... cannot stand to hear his idiotic idealology. But i agree the undesirables shouldnt have kids but if they do at least we got some planed parenthood to thin them out a bit.

undesirables.. looks like we have a budding nazi in our midst. how cute!

Gramm

• Zone Leader
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 06:46:14 AM »
Heil Mike!