Author Topic: misc. rank questions  (Read 3268 times)

Dran

misc. rank questions
« on: August 01, 2015, 12:35:11 PM »
A little background - I solo play an ocean scout.  I have 13 rank points to spend but not that much money so am trying to make the most of them the first time around.

The TRUE_SEEING rank is 3x as much as the DETECT_INVISIBLE/SENSE_LIFE rank.  What does TRUE_SEEING do that the other two don't?

What are DETECT_SCRY and MINDSHIELD?  (and are they any good for a Scout?)
What is AWARENESS?  (I'm taking a guess that it's the ability to detect sneaking?)

+STR ranks are relatively cheap compared to +DAM ranks, and I"m assuming +STR gives a bonus to damage output.  Is one better than the other?

What benefit will +DEX have for a non-ranged ocean scout, and is it worth putting ranks into this vs. STR, or something else?

In short, for solo Scout exploration - what ranks are the best "bang for my buck"?

Thanks for any thoughts.

muddeer

• Fodder
Re: misc. rank questions
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 06:37:45 PM »
True seeing lets you see through illusions.  For example, you can ignore the mirror images on a mage; a must for bashers/thieves in pvp.  Not as useful in pve.

With detect scry, you will know when someone is trying to use the scry spell on you and who he is.  Mind shield blocks scrying and some mind altering spells.  Useful to a scout only if he wants to lower the chance of being ganked.

Awareness lets you see anything sneaking into/hiding in the room you are in.

Jesus, I must be getting old.  I can't remember at which strength score you get a +dam bonus.  Anyways, they change it every few wipes.  I think it was like at 16, 20, 24, 28 str you get another +dam bonus last time I played.  Or 14, 18, 22, 26.  Don't see a big upside with +dex for a non-ranged scout.  Helps with AC, sneak/hide.  People used to say that if you had close to 28 dex, you got bash mod (less chance of getting bashed), but I never saw much of effect.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 06:41:05 PM by muddeer »

Chisul

• Immortal
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Pax
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 08:31:40 AM »
Having scouted quite a bit, I have some experience but this is mostly personal preference.

I really cater my ranks towards the type of eq I can confidently solo pop. I have no trouble getting scout friendly dex, str, and even the odd damage item or two so I hate dumping ranks and gold as a substitute for certain eq slots. That said, having really high dex, str, and Int should certainly improve your survivability. I almost always spring for a damage or two and detect invisibility/fly ranks early on. Eventually the instinct configuration solves both those problems but when ranking early fly and det inv are pretty helpful.

Once you legend, start scooping up those legendary ranks. There are some really awesome things you can do with these ranks if you get creative and experiment. I've solo killed some pretty rediculious high end fights with both my Ocean and my Mtn...of course using different strategies depending on the class.

I hope this helps!

Matt

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 02:31:28 PM »
I think the first thing an explorer should learn is where to pop coins.

Coins (lots of it) give you a lot of benefits
1. Easy to buy eq from shop and other players.
2. Easy to keep extra stuff you find. Having 20k+ rent is not a problem and should not be one.
3. Buying stuff from players builds rapport, that means easier grouping etc
4. Easier to switch ranks and test out what works for your style of play.
5. Sometimes you can even exchange coins with questions.

That's what I usually advise people I meet. Once you get yourself a routine to pop coins, then you can concentrate on exploring without fear of losing your eq to dt or foom or no cr death. A good rate would be 10k coins per login. In 10 login you'll have around 100k. Respectable amount to start.

As for ranks, pre-legend ranks I like are
1. Str - to carry more stuff
2. Det invis - useful during cr
3. Fly/WB - useful especially during cr
4. Moves - run around more (get yourself age through haste)
5. Learn and wis - near rank 19+, you need to get skills to superb

Next are ranks based on style and taste
1. True seeing
2. Night vision
3. Steelskin

But go ahead build a list of mobs with coins. Then you should be able to test what ranks you like more. Testing stuff for yourself is what makes this game fun.

Dran

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 05:59:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Regarding steelskin, am I right in thinking it would allow me to take at least twice as much melee punishment?

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 11:18:16 AM »
Steelskin, if you can load the coinage, is by far the best bang for your 13 ranks.  It's not quite 50%, but it stacks well with another ocean instinct which limits damage.   That, plus fence, makes an ocean incredibly durable while soloing, and will open up more opportunities overall than any other combination of 13 ranks. 

I play Ix, a chome-plated kender ocean. :)

In regards to other ranks: never underestimate the lowly AC ranks.  Hugely useful to spend 4 ranks and walk around with -40ac before gear.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 11:21:04 AM by Hoodoo »

Neyman

• Fodder
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 12:19:45 AM »
Mmm I dunno about AC. I had a bit of a falling out with AC ... I remember once I tried to go for the "AC motherload" ... full armaboro set enchanted with every component on a full moon. I think it was like -200AC. I had such high hopes. ... And it didnt seem to make much of a difference. So sad so sad.

I always wanted to "test" AC by wearing different amounts of -AC, have someone repeatedly attack me with a Xd1, and see what the results look like. Same with apply. And with AC/Apply on different slots. Can even do it with +dex. Then once you know how AC/apply/dex etc affect damage taken, you can really optimize how you set up your eq and ranks. Awesome!

Kadaj

• Zoner
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 05:17:45 AM »
"1. Str - to carry more stuff"

Can confirm, he loves his stuff

Jorquin

• Administrator
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 09:14:55 AM »
While I can't be too specific with what I say due to my position, I'll offer some general advice based on my experiences playing as a mortal.

Firstly, don't take what other people say as gospel. Many people will place different values on different stats. It was common for me to see players who would want to purely maximize their damage output, only to get completely wrecked by disabling spells. Sure they're doing a lot of damage, when they're not stunned / held / paralyzed / whatever. My point here is that balance is important, don't focus on any one specific area too much. Think of your character stats/flags like the old saying... "the chain is only as strong as the weakest link".

Secondly you should build your character to facilitate YOUR play style. If you mostly solo then you should be finding a balance between being able to take a hit and deal damage. If you're mainly playing in large groups then you can probably lean more towards min-maxing based on your role (damage / healing / tanking).

Thirdly consider the "value" of ranks to your character at the current time, and I don't mean by their RP value. If you don't have an item with fly on it, then the fly rank becomes pretty valuable. If you're a melee character and you have no damage items, being able to pick up a couple +DAMROLL ranks will clearly have high value. If you're a 450hp max mountain scout that is already doing disgusting damage, you should probably think about some +CON or -SAVING_SPELL.

Finally, if you look at the posts from other people in this thread you can basically read between the lines and see that what they're saying is "this is how I like to play my character". The STEELSKIN flagged scout likes to be fairly durable, the guy who favors +STR ranks so that he can carry more likes to hoard items for when the apocalypse comes. Work out how you want to play your character, deciding on which ranks to buy should become fairly easy afterwards.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 09:47:43 AM by Jorquin »

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 11:16:59 AM »
In regards to AC, I've seen a huge difference in how much damage comes in off of non-'boss' mobs.  There are also.. ancillary benefits of another nature, at certain ac levels.  Plus, it's an incredibly cheap gap-filler, and if you're going steelskin, you won't legend out till rank 33 or so (ignoring jellyfish).  Will AC make the dragon you're fighting miss you? Not reliably.  However, the 5 mobs you have to fight at once to get *to* the dragon are going to be making a wonderful breeze about you as they whiff.  The steelskin drops the dragon's damage once you get there. :)

Also, at higher levels of tanking with certain classes/skills (primarily legend warrior with vigor and legend scout with hydra), tanking becomes a game of trying to mitigate your damage down below your exceptional self-heals.  Killing something immediately becomes less of a concern if it can only do 50 damage past your available self-heals over the timer of the heal.

All a matter of playstyle, as Jorquin said. 

One more thing: remember, as an ocean, most of your damage (after you get shark) comes from instinct, not swinging. You don't get natural damage_mod like Mountains do.  This is especially true if you solo regularly, as solo should be fencing, and that devalues straight +dam even more.  Int helps your instinct damage: I've had good luck with boosting instinct damage and defensives for solo, primarily. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 11:45:43 AM by Hoodoo »

Kadaj

• Zoner
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 12:30:42 PM »
That Jorquin guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Pretty much follow this: Rank 7, buy 2 damage.  rank 11: buy another damage, rank 15: buy another damage, rank 19: another damage. That's it.

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 01:31:11 PM »
While I can't be too specific with what I say due to my position, I'll offer some general advice based on my experiences playing as a mortal.

Firstly, don't take what other people say as gospel. Many people will place different values on different stats. It was common for me to see players who would want to purely maximize their damage output, only to get completely wrecked by disabling spells. Sure they're doing a lot of damage, when they're not stunned / held / paralyzed / whatever. My point here is that balance is important, don't focus on any one specific area too much. Think of your character stats/flags like the old saying... "the chain is only as strong as the weakest link".

Secondly you should build your character to facilitate YOUR play style. If you mostly solo then you should be finding a balance between being able to take a hit and deal damage. If you're mainly playing in large groups then you can probably lean more towards min-maxing based on your role (damage / healing / tanking).

Thirdly consider the "value" of ranks to your character at the current time, and I don't mean by their RP value. If you don't have an item with fly on it, then the fly rank becomes pretty valuable. If you're a melee character and you have no damage items, being able to pick up a couple +DAMROLL ranks will clearly have high value. If you're a 450hp max mountain scout that is already doing disgusting damage, you should probably think about some +CON or -SAVING_SPELL.

Finally, if you look at the posts from other people in this thread you can basically read between the lines and see that what they're saying is "this is how I like to play my character". The STEELSKIN flagged scout likes to be fairly durable, the guy who favors +STR ranks so that he can carry more likes to hoard items for when the apocalypse comes. Work out how you want to play your character, deciding on which ranks to buy should become fairly easy afterwards.

Hope this helps!

How do i stop feeding so hard?  Why am i so OP one week then suck hard the next?  bapt riot and its army of trolls!

Lyam

• Immortal
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 06:53:42 AM »
the only rank you should buy is canfly/wb rank.... the best 3rp you will ever spend...
other than that rank I would save my money for legend ranks....

once you get legend, buy most of the legend instinct ranks... there are some that are a waste of coins and pointless...
then you get your dam/saves/etc ranks that help more