Author Topic: July 2015 Game State Update  (Read 6217 times)

Aristox

• Administrator
  • Zone Leader
July 2015 Game State Update
« on: July 12, 2015, 07:12:56 AM »
Over the last year not much development work has been happening on Arctic.  This can be tracked directly back to my time being less available.  I am currently the only coder doing any active development and I have less time now then ever before.

That said, we aren't dead in the water, I am just focusing on the non-player facing stuff out of necessity.  We need to do another server move, this time to a completely modernized library set and architecture. This means some of the backend systems need to be upgraded or we are going to have to shutdown. Specifically I need to replace the ancient XML library we have been using with something that will work in the current architecture, in this case I chose to move to JSON instead of another janky XML library.

There might be a few player-facing changes as part of these upgrades, but they are definitely not the main focus.

I will make another update as we get closer to the server move.

kanu

• Fodder
Re: July 2015 Game State Update
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 05:10:47 PM »
Thanks for the update Aristox, and for your work on the game.

Neyman

• Fodder
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 06:33:38 AM »
I am currently the only coder doing any active development and I have less time now then ever before.

Why not just have more people helping with development? I mean ... it's a text based online game ... from the early 90s ... the days of IRC ... I'm just assuming people who play arctic are super duper mega nerdy (or somehow haven't heard of this thing called "playstation") and at least a decent fraction work in software development. I know C isn't really the language du jour, but I can't be the only one nostalgically still clinging to an old dusty copy of K&R.

For all we know, evil Tim could actually be some hot shot core developer of Cython ... actually that sorta sounds like Cyan ... coincidence?!

eddiex

• Zoner
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 01:09:01 PM »
Lol @ evil Tim being a software developer.

Aristox

• Administrator
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 02:20:26 PM »
We have tried other coders, not many stick around.  I can't think of anyone in love with the idea of working with a 25 year old C code base (bastardized with some C++) that has had 20+ people work on it with no common coding standards.

I do it, but I am crazy/stupid.

The other side of it is that we need to trust that person, a lot.  We have been burned before by people taking the codebase and using it for a number of un-approved things.

Flair

• Guardian
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 05:09:54 PM »
Could we not split it out into different pieces?  With you doing the only merges, after like a PR, using something like GIT?

Neyman

• Fodder
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 12:32:53 PM »
using something like GIT?
This pretty much the usual flow I had in mind. Use Git, SVN, or whatever version control system is already used. Fork, do some stuff,  issue merge request (that will likely be ignored). Not sure what unapproved things people have done though. I guess unauthorized release of the code would be an issue. Though so would releasing zone SECRETS, though ppl are more or less good about that.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 12:34:25 PM by Neyman »

snax

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 07:35:51 PM »
@aristox :  so in twenty-twenty-never, I might be a 31 and eligible for a slot in adding to the beautiful code?

As to the comments about versioning etc on git/svn, I'm still thinking (I am not an imm/not a coder/not even relevant) that the general concensus (if I recall the gist of all the previous threads in the past) is that one day the code base *might* be released, that if so it won't contain any of the zone files, as to respect all the creators who are probably not even reachable to really give their blessing, and that I'm probably not likely to give any positive contribution to the game other than the occasional meta-game fail or snarky comment.

although, some aspects of the game that aren't terribly critical are probably still pretty damn similar to the diku codebase (weather, in game text editor, uhm....maybe even part of the shops code)

once again, these comments are purely speculation, but I haven't snarked in on the forums or on the game in a month or three, other than to blather about teaching my son how to program.

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 05:34:31 PM »
Coders should never come from the playerbase. And they should never be allowed to log onto the main port to do testing. That would cut a lot of risk and unfair advantage.

Maybe aristox's son can take some coding when he turn 5.

Jang Yoo Sung

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Storms Keep
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 06:20:51 PM »
again nothing... he posts like he's gonna say something but nothing....

Aristox

• Administrator
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 05:32:13 PM »
I said I would update when we are closer, still no firm date.  We are moving servers still, but it is delayed at least until the end of this month.

I have a job, I have 2 kids under 5, I have other hobbies.  Arctic is something I do in my spare time between other things.  I didn't get the upgrades done in time, so we extended it a month.

Complaining is a great way to de-motivate someone doing free work (and it is work) you want completed.

Willoe

• Guardian
  • Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Graveyard
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 10:58:17 AM »
First and foremost I want to thank the staff for their contribution to the game. The game is better then it has ever been with the new content and classes that it currently has. It is unfortunate that the player base has dwindled so that it is very difficult for people to form groups to actually enjoy the game to its fullest.

This game has seen its share of overlords over the years and I think that our current staff has contributed the most of any to the game and its survival...with that being said(and I don't know if this is even possible so excuse my ignorance), in the past when overlords had things come up or were unable to continue to have to time to play an active role the game(and it is a considerable amount of time), they passed the torch. Now in the past we had a lot more staff to chose from so I don't even know if that's possible, however if it is then why not give someone else a crack at it? Someone who is proven and has been around, or perhaps someone who is unretired that has done so in the past? By any means I'm not asking for anyone to step down but the game does need an active staff to help keep the game fun with quests/tournaments/etc., or even with updates so the player base has an idea of whats going on.

I appreciate all that is being done and by no means am trying to question the work that is being done but simply wondering if the time is so limited by the current staff if there is anyone else that can help fill the void?(by no means am i volunteering!)

Respectfully,
Ilya

muddeer

• Fodder
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 11:28:12 PM »
Didn't Aristox step down awhile back, but then when the new overlord (Scrappnik I think) quit because of irl situations, he had to come back?  Is there really anyone else who can and is willing to take over?

Kudos to anyone who is willing to put in the time and effort to keep this game alive; Thanks Aristox, Hoss, and to others stilling plugging away after all these years!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 04:02:42 AM by muddeer »

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 01:38:34 PM »
nevermind previous message here, wrong spot to post this complaint. Aristox thanks for finding the time between hobbies and responsibilities to keep us alive brother!!!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 01:47:18 PM by Gramm »

Hoss

• Elder
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 02:13:45 PM »
Gramm, I am not sure if you are trying to make a serious post or just troll me. I am leaning on trolling, as you are speaking about an incident with one of our players that you have no facts on at all.

Anyone that has serious desire to contribute to the game has the opportunity; not everyone has the capability, capacity and can establish the required trust.