Author Topic: Teaching the next generation programming...  (Read 1873 times)

snax

Teaching the next generation programming...
« on: June 17, 2015, 09:46:21 PM »
my 10 year old wrote his first scratch program.  It's taken a few months to convince him he can't instantly produce a minecraft mod, but least he's finally getting into the basics of logic and error handling.  I told him around #300 we can work on software that regulates hardware (robotics).  He will be tested before lesson 3.  =)  After about 100 lessons I'm thinking that python is next.  I also told him back in mah day, nothing like scratch existed and manipulating graphics was a pipe dream and I'ld dreamed of making a program like his (move the cat set the cat, handle the cat, reset the cat) sprite was unimaginable.

the most absolutely basic introduction to input gonna happen around #5-10. maybe pong/2 player pong mod around #11-13.

I'ld love to start him on python next...then I'm hard pressed but I'm thinking basic then c then assembler....maybe when he's around 14-15 he can handle that.  Our kids are so spoiled =P

Brad

• Fodder
Re: Teaching the next generation programming...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 11:26:39 PM »
Minecraft/Computercraft is GREAT. LUA is a pretty easy code to learn the syntax for and it reads much better to teach off of. Plus it is great t see a robot in minecraft do what you told it to...also funny when you mess up and it goes bonkers.

Oligo

Re: Teaching the next generation programming...
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 12:26:23 AM »
LUA is a pretty easy code to learn the syntax for and it reads much better to teach off of.

Lua is good for Arctic, just saying... Used by MUSHclient and Mudlet.