Author Topic: Could someone HELP please  (Read 4002 times)

SayomiiChan

Could someone HELP please
« on: February 17, 2015, 10:19:26 PM »
Sorry to be a bother but I am a huge fan of the series and lore and when i found a game i squeed all over the place. But now I'm in a bit of a pickle.
I can't seem to figure the controls out at all, I know there is a tutorial but I'm still having no luck. I can't seem to get my character to interact with any of the npc's and possibly real characters. Talking and what not seem to allude me, and I'm not quite sure how to tell where I am on the map and what not >w< 
[/sub]

snax

Re: Could someone HELP please
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 10:44:18 PM »
Bear with the broken math that somehow works on this game.

My greatest hope and thought for you squeed-chan is:

Many of the game is warring and will consider you a spy, half the game has quit for the wipe and won't be interacting with you.  Many of the third half are too good to ever bother with you.  The fourth half of players are curious who you are.  Those who would consider interacting with you overwhelmingly will quickly figure out just who's spy you are or have to be, and if you're lucky enough to be rightfully or wrongfully pegged you will be either abandoned or slaughtered.  If you're lucky you'll get slaughtered -- the alternative is to wither in obsoletion as a proud member of the fifth half.

And, despite the fact 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2 +1/2 + 1/2 should equal 2.5....for some reason on this game it works out to 100%

Best of luck if you decide to continue on here for more than a few hours or days.  In which case you're probably a member of the fifth half's targetted audience.

SayomiiChan

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 11:11:28 PM »
I just don't understand. I'm new to MUD games in general and I'm excited to dive in. But there are times with the npcs when clearly it want's you to talk to them but I can't seem to figure out how to do so

muddeer

• Fodder
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 11:11:54 PM »
SayomiiChan == brandon == bryton

Bunsen

• Immortal
  • Fodder
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 03:01:27 AM »
SayomiiChan == brandon == bryton

Nope.

kanu

• Fodder
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 12:30:09 PM »
Some NPCs look like they can be talked to, some do not. In general a good starting place is to try and listen to the NPC. In Solace, some of the NPCs will actually answer questions, etc...

Have you found anyone you can group with yet? I found a learned a tonne from grouping with people, especially patient people.

Jorquin

• Administrator
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 04:53:08 PM »
Generally, there is no way to tell where you are on the map other than orientation through knowing the landscape, knowing where you've been and the direction you've traveled.

As for interacting with npc's, this is done in a variety of ways. One particularly common way is to "listen" to the particular npc, in more complex areas some may respond with bow <target>, salute <target> or a variety of other interactions, though listen will work with the majority that you can interact with.

With shopkeepers you can find the commands in the help shop file. List, buy, repair, sell, value are the general commands though.

As for interacting with players you can use say to speak to anyone in room, tell <name> to tell to specific individuals (the who command will show you a list of visible players) and shout to broadcast to the entire game, but the shout command requires you to be level 2 and also has a cooldown on its usage.

Some rooms prevent people from receiving tells or shout messages, usually those rooms are underground.

If you have any other questions about interacting with players/npcs feel free to post the question(s) here, and i'll respond to them as best I can.

Also it would be nice if some of the more experienced players who felt the need to post could be helpful for new players once and a while...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 09:27:16 PM by Jorquin »

Brafu

• Zoner
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 06:23:01 PM »
The best advice I can give, to a true newbie like you, is to sit down and read as many of the help files as you can. They really explain a lot of the basics while the rest is learned through just doing.

help newbie would be a great place to start.

There's just so much to learn about playing a mud that its easier to learn through the help files and doing than to have someone walk you through it all. Plus the game requires someone to be able to figure things out if they want to be successful, so its a good habit to get into early.

Reggit

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 05:18:56 AM »
Hey there! I am a fairly casual experienced/inexperienced player and I would love to help you out. I have taught my friends how to play the game fairly efficiently and quickly and can help you out with most areas/zones... Only problem is I am in Australia, and it's hard to find people who are on the same time I am on.... If you are ever online and see me online (Opnauticus) don't hesitate to ask me some questions, I might not be the most knowledgeable player but I would love to share what I can.

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 02:20:39 PM »
Start in a town ANY town, find the inn, the fountain, general store, world merchant for starters. Always have a reference point i recommend the town square and then just while you are learning to memorize those places write them down as an aid on a sheet of paper man.

For instance in solace, the fountain IS the square, the "cleric" guild is u s e from the square, the general store is n w u from the square, the world merchant is 2 south of the square. If you are good kill evil things, if you are evil kill good things, if you are neutral kill everything.

Not every single npc has a story to tell you, but often you can type "listen NPC" depending on what the npc is you might be typing "listen man or listen woman or listen kender or listen ogre"  sometimes it can be "poke man" or something different as well

I am personally on the other end of the spectrum as I played this game for like 14 years before i ever read a single one of these books, Now i cant put them down!!! There are so many similarities between the series and the game. Welcome to arctic and i hope you enjoy it as much as I am enjoying the books : )

MOST IMPORTANTLY if you need help man... just use the shout command or the yell command or even the tell command and ask someone personally if they know the answer to your problem.

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 05:32:28 AM »
and i think what you meant to say was sayomichan > brandon > bryton.....
troll oll oll :p