Author Topic: Control Affects -- Next Wipe -- Don't stun me bro!  (Read 3205 times)

Kir

• Zoner
Re: Control Affects -- Next Wipe -- Don't stun me bro!
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2014, 11:53:17 AM »
Hello!

Although this post will probably be unpopular, my question is this:

Without being able to bash somebody multiple times in a row, how is successful pk going to be possible? In mmo's pk is always possible because people can't recite recall and end up half a world away in a safe room. If they get attacked, they have to run, and the attacker can chase firing missiles attacks. In a game like arctic, you need stuff like bash, nightmare, paralyze, holds, etc to actually kill people, that or huge spike damage, otherwise they will just recall every time.

I think if we are going to ditch the unique aspect of arctic mud and copy the mmo's, then we should also have to remove the instant recall ability as well. In real pvp mmo's, like Darkfall for example, you cannot instantly recall. Recalling takes something like 90-120 seconds to cast, which makes sense. If players have no way to really keep another player from recalling, the 60-120 second recall timer is the only thing that allows actual pvp to take place. However, in arctic that would screw up recalling from pvE fights. So a way to combat that would be that the 90-120 second cast time of recall is only activated when the 3 tic pvp flag is activated on the person who was attacked.

enochvey

• Fodder
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2014, 02:28:10 PM »
Hello!

Although this post will probably be unpopular, my question is this:

Without being able to bash somebody multiple times in a row, how is successful pk going to be possible? *snip*

Because there are going to be multiple ways to prevent recalling on different timers/penalty counters. Hoss hinted towards more of an explanation on how this will flesh out when the class discussion starts.

Im taking a wild guess.. but think the disorient type effect from punch (and other new fun skills hopefully) will land far more often, giving those with a knockdown and that effect (punch AND bash) at their disposal multiple, non-spammable ways to prevent the recall, provided the victim has already exchausted their means of countering those effects.

I could be wrong, but the days of;

"oh look a couple people showed up in the same room I'm in and a fight started... and wow look I started the fight from perfect to dead with zero control over my character"

will be at least somewhat over, and I say good riddance.

Kir

• Zoner
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2014, 03:54:17 PM »
Yes but if you read my post, you would understand that the point I am making is that if "those days are over" as you say, nobody is going to be idiotic enough to stick around and get pked while an instantaneous recall is in the game. My point is, if somebody is not wait_stated or stunned\held they will either flee or recall to escape. The only people who die will be those afk who aren't bright enough to write simple triggers.

By adding a 90-120 cast on word of recall scrolls\pots\wands flag while the character being attacked has the 3 tic pvp flag would be the only way I can see to avoid this.

enochvey

• Fodder
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2014, 07:06:13 PM »
I understood your point and I'd say your're largely (not entirely) wrong.

When a group tries to hunt and kill a single player, you're right in the fact that it will be easier (not assured) for a person who is at a blatant no-win sitation to get out alive provided they don't make any real attempt to fight back. This is not a problem. It is a solution a ciritical game design flaw philosophy that arctic has had as long as I've played it, and that many other MMO's have had until people finally found something better and moved on.

That flaw has a number of faces. One is the idea that a pk system should favor those in greater numbers no matter what. That time spent waiting to set an ambush in motion while at the log-in screen (eve online anyone?) is equally important, and often FAR more important than the time spent actually playing characters in game. That flaw is the idea that the results of the time, energy, etc invested into your character will usually mean nothing when you need them the most if you happened to have been on the wrong side of the log-in war.. I could go on and on. 

I don't do pk on this game currently for those reasons and more. When the time I'd spend innsitting, or more appropriately, log-in screen sitting has a greater impact on the outcome of an individual battle, or even a wipe-long war than what I am able to do in the middle of combat, then what exactly is the point...?

For someone like myelf who PvP's in other games to be challenged by the skill.. not the number of my opponents... to learn to respect their control over their character(s) or die for my own blunders, rather than their ability to say "log now" in ventrilo and steamroll me regardless... there is none.

Now if Im actually given the ability to fight back, or at a bare minimum a reasonable chance that leaving the inn isn't certain death, you open up an entirely new part of this game to me and I am certain I am not the only one. Give me the necessary tools to fight and I will be more than happy to take the same chances in Pvp that I do in Pve..

I will not be instantly recalling.

You have died 41 horrible deaths.....

Thymorical

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Abyss
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2014, 12:18:49 PM »
Not that it really matters being Im come off like a troll for saying it.. but I just don't believe you guys should fix game mechanics that are not broken.. I suspect next wipe will be fooming, Broken, and just buggy as hell next wipe.. If I could gain just 1more exp I would for sure be way more optimistic about how this is all going to get coded.

Kitz

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2014, 10:18:55 PM »
Are there going to be any spells or abilities that will remove these flags? As an example, would mages get a spell that would make the mob easier to bash halfway through a fight?

Thymorical

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Abyss
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2014, 10:05:28 PM »
Im not to sure about this one. Maybe this could be stretched over on a skill like stance for dark knights. Maybe if you guys want all classes to get this you could give them there own version of this skill to everyone. so if your more prepared for combat you could be more resilient to these attacks.. and if your not tanking maybe you wanna be in a more offensive stance. I think if we tried we can come to some kinda balance with that system.

Hoss

• Elder
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2014, 08:56:08 AM »
Are there going to be any spells or abilities that will remove these flags?
Yes, we are thinking that most affects will have a counter measure designed into it. For example, your cleric gets held via the 'hold person' spell so the mage uses 'free action' on him. This would remove the affect, but also reset the counter on the debilitate and removing any immunity from the cleric vs. debilitates.