Author Topic: Spell Slots -- Next Wipe  (Read 2582 times)

Aristox

• Administrator
  • Zone Leader
Spell Slots -- Next Wipe
« on: March 13, 2014, 02:46:08 PM »
All casters will use one set of slot gains by level

We are combining spell slots across all guilds considered casters (Mages, Clerics, Druids, Shamans).  This means that all of those guilds will gain the same slots at the same levels.

We are also currently putting all 4 guilds on a 9 circle path.  Which would mean that Clerics, Druids and Shamans would each gain a circle.  This is subject to change, but is currently the plan.

The level 30 base slots for casters would be like this (circle -- number of slots):
1st -- 9
2nd -- 8
3rd -- 8
4th -- 7
5th -- 7
6th -- 6
7th -- 6
8th -- 5
9th -- 4

I would warn you not to assume that spells will be in the same circles they are now (or will even exist period).

All hybrids will use one set of slot gains by level

Hybrids are what I am currently calling melee classes which also cast:  Dark Knights, Paladins and Rangers.

The level 30 base slots for hybrids would be like this (circle -- number of slots):
1st -- 8
2nd -- 7
3rd -- 6
4th -- 5

Again, warning about assumptions.  This may also change.

Bonus Slots

All classes with spells will use the same system for determining bonus slots from wisdom.  Yes, this means guilds that previously didn't gain slots (mages) from wisdom will now gain them.

The new system, as currently coded, may not be the final one, but I will describe it here.

wis 13,16,19 each add one 1st circle slot
wis 23,26,29 each add one 2nd circle slot
<etc>
wis 93,96,99 each add one 9th circle slot

This means wisdom past 49 will not help hybrids.  Also, all guilds will get +3 slots at most in each circle.

I am currently rethinking this system.  So, if you have ideas please let me know what they are, but keep in mind one requirement is that +3 slots is the most per circle.

+Slot Equipment

The current plan is to remove all equipment that adds spell slots.  We are still in the early stages of the plan, so this might change.

Stacking wisdom is the new +slot gear.

As I am sure you are sick of seeing, all of this is subject to change.

snax

Re: Spell Slots -- Next Wipe
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 05:21:19 PM »
ah a realm of 9 heal clerics with barely above baseline nude gear as both the alpha and omega.  loving it. (subject to circle relocation / subject to changes / but heal will exist.)

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 06:58:42 PM »
Was hoping to see moon phases affecting the spell slots for robes.

The "extra" slot would have the following distribution during the moon phases

Full -> half moon -> new -> half moon -> Full ...

+2 -> +1 -> -1 -> +1 -> +2

For the "extra slots". you can choose your spells from any circle available to you. For example, at full moon you can memorize 2 extra spells. At half moon, only 1. At new moon, not only you don't have extra spells, you will lose one of the "extra" spells from memory.

You always cast the extra slot spell first.

Bunsen

• Immortal
  • Fodder
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 07:26:30 PM »
Was hoping to see moon phases affecting the spell slots for robes.

The "extra" slot would have the following distribution during the moon phases

Full -> half moon -> new -> half moon -> Full ...

+2 -> +1 -> -1 -> +1 -> +2

For the "extra slots". you can choose your spells from any circle available to you. For example, at full moon you can memorize 2 extra spells. At half moon, only 1. At new moon, not only you don't have extra spells, you will lose one of the "extra" spells from memory.

You always cast the extra slot spell first.

I think this seems like it would be counter productive to normalizing spell slots and +spell slots across all guilds. I'd prefer to see moons stay as some sort of +spellpower / +spelldamage bonus, however minor.

Valenore

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 08:23:28 AM »
Seems like it might make more sense to stagger the bonus slots a little, so for example:

13, 23, 33 = +first circle
16, 26, 36 = +second circle
19, 29, 39 = +third circle
43, 53, 63 = +fourth circle
46, 56, 66 = +fifth circle
79, 89, 99 = +ninth circle

So if we assume heal stays 6th circle, the difference between a 6 healer and a 9 healer in the proposed system would be 6 wisdom.  Staggering it as above would at least expand it to 20 wisdom.

It also spreads the benefit of wisdom around.  Depending on class you may not really care if you get any bonus 5th slots so in the proposed system the difference between 53-62 wisdom didn't matter to you.  But if the bonus is spread out a bit more you may want to hit 59 wis to get that extra 6th circle or 63 to pick up another 4th circle.  Or you may not care about bonus slots past the 6th slot so you don't care about anything beyond 69 wisdom. Spreading them out increases the likelihood that every wisdom point counts.

The only thing that staggering seems to throw off is 4th circle for the hybrid types.   But you still would get your first 4th circle bonus at the same wisdom and you would get your 3rd bonus slot at 63 instead of 49.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 01:59:13 PM by Valenore »

Hoss

• Elder
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 06:39:25 PM »
@ Valenore: Great post, it was very refreshing to read a well thought out post like yours, thank you. I think this setup would allow for more diversity in wisdom and keep us balanced by adding bonus slots at various ranges.

Aristox

• Administrator
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 10:20:46 AM »
@Valenore:

I went down a similar path originally, the problem I ran into was a difficulty of making it a readable algorithm.  One of the rules I use when coding is if I can't understand what is going on after not looking at the code for a few days, then the design is messed up.  Readability == maintainability usually.

The only real way to do what you suggest is to hardcode things in a giant array, which I am trying to avoid.

Maybe I will take another swipe at doing something like what you are suggesting because I agree it is a better system.

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 03:58:45 PM »
I would prefer a point system where you get certain number of slot_points on your wis.

How you assign those slot_points depends on you.

You can only get the 3rd slot of a circle provided you have the 3rd slot of the previous circle. Same thing with 2nd slot. This means that to get the 3rd slot of 9th circle, you would have to fill up all the 3rd slots of circle 1 to 8.

Here is a simple equation of the cost of slot_points for each circle.
Slot_point needed = circle * no of slots
Eg, for 6th circle and 2nd bonus slot, you need = 6*2 = 12 slot_points. For the 1st, you need 6*1=6 slot_points

You get 27 slot_points per 10 wis up to 270 slot_points. Look at the bottom table as an example of 3rd slot distribution. With the above equations and rule, there is really no need to limit the amount of extra slot per circle you can get from wisdom.

Here is why. You can get up to 3rd slot for circle 1 to 9 with 270 slot_points. You can't get 4th slot of 6th circle (you need 280 points). But you can get up to +23 1st circle at 100 wis. hmm...

Code: [Select]
circle 1st     2nd    3rd     sum
1 1 2 3 6
2 2 4 6 12
3 3 6 9 18
4 4 8 12 24
5 5 10 15 30
6 6 12 18 36
7 7 14 21 42
8 8 16 24 48
9 9 18 27 54
sum 45 90 135 270

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 04:10:07 PM by gulca »

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 03:29:18 PM »
Hoss you piece of shit scumbag, we want a development post this week.

https://twitter.com/ArcticAristox/status/446759889184886784

Hoss

• Elder
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 04:02:57 PM »
I never got my free round of golf, so suck it!

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 08:46:18 PM »
lmao!!!!

Thymorical

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Abyss
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 12:28:47 PM »
If this was the only change id be down for it.. please don't do the moon phase changing the amounts of slots you have.. that just be so annoying.. and I probably would simply not mem spell for the bonus just to loose another spell later when the moon goes away. I don't know how im going to have time to learn all this new game mechanics.. so busy