Author Topic: Armor -- Next Wipe  (Read 5286 times)

Aristox

• Administrator
  • Zone Leader
Armor -- Next Wipe
« on: February 26, 2014, 08:45:04 AM »
The Goal

Make armor provide a real benefit.  Make that benefit obvious to players.

This should provide choices in equipment.  If you have a +12 con/30 armor item and then you find a +6 con/60 armor item, the difference should be somewhat obvious.

Armor broken down into 4 classes

None: 
-Cloth armor.
-It provides no protection from physical attacks.
-Mages will wear this this level of armor.
-There will probably be magical physical attack protection that mages can use, but it will not be from the equipment they wear.
-Armor multiplier: 0

Light: 
-Leather and Natural armors, some scale.
-Provides minimal protection from physical attacks.
-Druids, Shamans and Thieves will wear this level of armor.
-Armor multiplier: 1

Medium:
-Scale and higher end leather, some metal.
-Provides good protection from physical attacks.
-Clerics, Rangers and Barbarians will wear this level of armor.
-Armor multiplier: 2

Heavy:
-High end Scale and Metal armor.
-Provides excellent protection from physical attacks.
-Warriors, Paladins and Dark Knights will wear this level of armor.
-Armor multiplier: 3

** The guilds listed above may change.
** The armor multipliers above may change.

Your armor class is decided by the weakest armor you are wearing.  So if you have 4 pieces of armor on, 1 light and 3 heavy, you are considered to be wearing light armor for all calculations.  This is done to make choosing to use weaker armor for the stats have a downside, so warriors don't wear a lot of light or medium armor.  It is still possible for them to do it, but they are making a sacrifice.

Armor values range from 0 to 100 per armor-item

The higher the armor value, the more protection it provides (duh). 

8 total armor locations

Body,
Head,
Legs,
Feet,
Hands,
Arms,
Shield,
Waist

** Subject to change.

Examples

So with 8 slots, 100 max per slot, the top armor for each armor class is...

None: 8 slots * 100 armor each * 0 multiplier = 0
Light: 8 slots * 100 armor each * 1 multiplier = 800
Medium: 8 slots * 100 armor each * 2 multiplier = 1600
Heavy : 8 slots * 100 armor each * 3 multiplier = 2400

Each point of armor translate into physical resistance

We are using total armor to reduce the damage taken from physical sources (weapon swings, most skills, some specs, other stuff).

The cap we are placing on physical resistance gained from equipment is 60% (subject to change).  The 60% resistance value will only be reachable by heavy armor wearers, thus the resistance cap by armor class is..

None: 0%
Light: 20%
Medium: 40%
Heavy 60%

This breaks down to 0.025% resistance per point of armor.  All these numbers may change later, we are working from this as a starting point.

There are plans to add spells and skills to increase physical resistance for short periods of time, but the total will never go over 80% resistance.

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
Re: Armor -- Next Wipe
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 09:34:57 AM »
Good job.  Definitely will add to the game.

Dyl

• Zoner
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 10:59:02 AM »
Rangers should be light or be taking heavy penalties to sneak/hide assuming they still have that mechanic

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 12:17:26 PM »
Solid foundation. I hope there are added layers of complexity later.

Some skills or abilities should be tied to Armor type you are wearing.

Dyl mentioned the obvious: hide/sneak.

For other examples,
Parry should have bonus on light armor, penalty on heavy armor. Shield block the opposite. Dodge would be similar to parry.

As for zone creators, to negate the innate penalties, they could add "bonus" to the heavy armors to compensate.

Tie-in to saving throws would also be welcome. A tightly clad knight should have extra bonus against dragon breathe for example.

Jorquin

• Administrator
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 01:43:20 PM »
only problem with armor tying into save vs breath is in some circumstances it would seem silly

i'd wager the guy in cloth would probably be better off against a blue dragon's lightning breath than the guy in full conductive steel platemail, where as against heat you'd probably think the opposite.

Nostramazos

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 01:50:55 PM »

Good stuff,

I think to add another element is to give something extra to 1 armor equipment, the shield. Maybe a skill that you can hide behind the shield (i.e fortress) can give you extra armor and/or protection from breath attacks or other spell damage related attacks (hiding behind the shield while the dragon breathes fire. I have seen it done in movies, it is true). Shields should become very important bits of equipment more so than body armor etc and helmets which are only good when skateboarding.

Nostramazos

fulloflife

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 02:22:46 PM »
what if you have an empty slot? Does that mean you have no multiplier?

Aristox

• Administrator
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 02:27:37 PM »

No. It only counts armor slots that have gear when figuring out the multiplier.

snax

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 02:31:09 PM »
cloth armor could be given some level of bonus... like .25 maybe?  that way the classes who are in the light leather tier could have an extra decision to make when choosing their gear?

that way makes it a tougher decision for thieves/druids?

Dyl

• Zoner
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 03:13:04 PM »
Any thoughts of improving shields, or perhaps turning wrist worn shields (bucklers) into something worthwhile?  Making it a serious debate whether to choose to wield 1 weapon/shield vs dual wielding even if not bashing.

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 03:39:49 PM »
Don't know if we are going off the tangent, but shield is an interesting discussion by itself.

Shield bonus recommended by Maza lord is good idea. Limit that to whether the wearer is "free" or not. Disabled char should not have this shield bonus. Bonus from armor should always be there regardless if disabled or not.

Restricting classes from wearing certain armor category might not be a good idea. Let them wear it, and lower their abilities as a penalty. But let them gain the bonuses from wearing heavy armors. Sometimes defense is the best offense.

Imagine a mage donning a heavy full platemail entering a frag fest room hiding behind a huge shield. He get bonus in surviving the frags, but cannot cast spells cos of armor. When the dust settles a bit, he remove the heavy armors, drops the shield and work his magic in retaliation.

fulloflife

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 06:02:41 PM »

No. It only counts armor slots that have gear when figuring out the multiplier.

OK but if this happens then someone who wears less armor can potentially have higher armor, which is a bit awkward.

e.g. I have 4 heavy pieces, 5 empty slots- so I have 3x multiplier. But if i wear an additional non-heavy piece, I just screwed myself

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 06:41:30 PM »
@fulloflife

Interesting observation. There is good and bad.

Good thing is we will have gears for different categories of armors. That is, DK set will mostly consist of heavy armors and they are unlikely to hog other armor categories. But if they really need that +stat or +buff from a lower piece of armor, then they will take that Armor multiplier hit. So you might have a lot of empty slots or fill those slots with shop heavy armors.

As for the bad, obviously that is not realistic. Padding on extra piece of something should always increase what you have currently unless they are curse items. I'm sure having individual armor multiplier adding to the total isn't a big change to the coding. There is probably a reason to put a global multiplier bonus as a function of the lowest worn armor.

Either way, as long as the rules are laid out clearly to the players, things look solid.

Or put the following rule:
Multiplier bonus for any categories are only valid when you have the following slots filled with same category armor
1. Body, hand, arm, leg, foot
Else if, you don't have the same category on the 5 slots, then the lowest category takes effect.
Else you don't have all 5 slots filled, multiplier is reset to 1.

So if you wear lower armor types in other slots, you don't get hit with penalty on your multiplier.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 06:48:30 PM by gulca »

Anthony

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 07:12:15 PM »
Guess you won't see a lot of warriors rolling around with those light armor, high limit +dam/+hr gloves anymore.

Tajs

• Favorite Zone: Dun mir
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 02:32:54 AM »
You touch very lightly on the effect on spells on armor, but I'd curious as to what kind of armor class bonus steelskin, stoneskin (would that be changed from bruising melee to extra armor points?) and globe/minor globe - can you elaborate on this?

Also, I think 80% cap is too high tbh, I know it's the very max but it *will* be attained, why was this number picked?.
Max cap at 50-60 would seem fine for me, having seen steelskinned, ghostdancing barbs with cyan armor...

Also it was interesting to see that warrior/dks/pala get much high armor than barbs, who's the traditional main tank these days.