Author Topic: Group Size  (Read 6690 times)

Thymorical

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Abyss
Re: Group Size
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2014, 04:54:48 PM »
Such Dramatic and pointless changes should focus on New classes quest zones rather then screw with a system that is working good enough.. About the only change I think I will like is smaller group sizes but only because it doesn't effect me much at all.. All ready limited to about 5 at max in a group.

Keith

« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2014, 09:01:40 PM »
This is an old thread, but I hadn't read this part of the forums until now.

I am against the scaling down to 5 man group sizes.  I find that with my older age and 2 little ones that finding time to do big zones is rough as it is.  I often have to AFK without warning to prevent my children from damaging themselves/my stuff.  I always pick characters which aren't considered "necessary" so that it isn't a big deal if I AFK for a fight or two.  I doubt I'll be added to groups to do high end content with the proposed changes because of the above.

I disagree with the idea that people will just add another group.  I suspect that if there are 6 people in a clan on, then 5 will zone and 1 will log (and that 1 will probably be me).  I say this based on years of experience:  even when I have been in clans with 20+ people online, usually there is 1 major group (lead by clan leader and top players) who zones, while the rest solo and wait for a spot.  I think this will wind up causing people to get bored waiting for the top group and play something else. 

As Reed said, most of the game can be done by 5 man groups already.  Dropping the cap from 10 will just result in less interaction between players and result in elitist groups within clans, i.e. the top 5 (not coincidentally, usually the best leaders) are going to kill Cyan, while the rest of you do whatever.  Also, groups that typically don't mind adding X newbie/unknown character won't add a spot for them if it is going to damage their ranks/shinies.  It would be better to just add a henchman-type system to scale the smaller groups up to 10, than rework all zones based on 5. 

Finally, there are a lot of people, including myself, with a decent amount of zone knowledge but that simply don't want to lead.  I don't think that scaling down to 5 is going to change that whatsoever.

With all changes, I try to decide whether the change will make me play more or less, and whether I will get more or less enjoyment after the change.  I feel like this will result in me playing less and enjoying it less.  I solo a lot (easier with children anyway), so I guess this may help with that, but at that point, it becomes a SUD (single-user dungeon) rather than a MUD.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 09:04:30 PM by Keith »

snax

« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2014, 11:36:39 PM »
if the cap is scaled down to 5 then you should be twice as mighty by default.  Surely this will allow you to solo more interesting things while waiting on a slot I'ld imagine.  Instead of something like ancient red dragon maybe you're off soloing kaligath or similar...who knows.  With a buddy or two you should be able to run the vast majority of zones instead of being stuck waiting on a slot in a group....luni avatar on 3-4 is doable currently but doable prelegend would be pretty neat for more groups - maybe void would be more amenable to 4 mans instead of needing so many bashes and a big group prelegend....  I'm curious to come back after the changes (and I still sometimes log -- but i'm now mainly studying for my nursing boards)

corey

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2014, 07:05:04 AM »
if the cap is scaled down to 5 then you should be twice as mighty by default.  Surely this will allow you to solo more interesting things while waiting on a slot I'ld imagine.  Instead of something like ancient red dragon maybe you're off soloing kaligath or similar...who knows.  With a buddy or two you should be able to run the vast majority of zones instead of being stuck waiting on a slot in a group....luni avatar on 3-4 is doable currently but doable prelegend would be pretty neat for more groups - maybe void would be more amenable to 4 mans instead of needing so many bashes and a big group prelegend....  I'm curious to come back after the changes (and I still sometimes log -- but i'm now mainly studying for my nursing boards)

Everyone's already 4x mightier than 5 years ago.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2014, 01:48:28 PM »
void is already being done on groups of 5 or smaller, and there are people in this game (you know who you are!) who are soloing kaligath.  There are really only about 5 zones in the game that REALLY need a 10 man (well...a 6+ man) group.

I think that skullcap is the model and the practice run for this concept.  Take your legend characters there and see how you do!  There are some fun fights, some crazy fights, and, as usual, some just plain weird fights.  I think some elements will have to be toned-down in some of the big fights in the game (golden whale, kraken, blaze, cyan, etc.) but if the end result is like skullcap then there will be some real and fun challenges with no guarantees of victory even with stacked rank 30+ legend groups...and that's kinda fun

corey

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2014, 01:50:56 PM »
void is already being done on groups of 5 or smaller, and there are people in this game (you know who you are!) who are soloing kaligath.  There are really only about 5 zones in the game that REALLY need a 10 man (well...a 6+ man) group.

I think that skullcap is the model and the practice run for this concept.  Take your legend characters there and see how you do!  There are some fun fights, some crazy fights, and, as usual, some just plain weird fights.  I think some elements will have to be toned-down in some of the big fights in the game (golden whale, kraken, blaze, cyan, etc.) but if the end result is like skullcap then there will be some real and fun challenges with no guarantees of victory even with stacked rank 30+ legend groups...and that's kinda fun

I 2 manned everything except for cyan and blood shoal this wipe.

Grimwar

Limit Party of Six
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2014, 06:32:22 PM »
Why not a party of six (vs five)?

- increases flexibility in composition: 1 tank, 2 healers, 3 DPS is perhaps optimal for most zones while addressing repeated concerns for a secondary healer; but another zone may better use 2/2/2 or temporary teams of 2 or 3 during parts of thezone; and so on.

- Eases some pressure for parties to be more inclusive of newer players or less-than-ideal characters.

- Remains manageable in size. Span of control = Leader with 3 to 5 Followers, is a military rule of thumb (with more followers, military would form another unit with its own leader and 3 to 5 followers).

Six is a good comprise between those advocating for smaller groups and those that favor larger groups.

SArT

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Anything outside of Arctic
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2014, 05:55:48 PM »
Why not a party of six (vs five)?

- increases flexibility in composition: 1 tank, 2 healers, 3 DPS is perhaps optimal for most zones while addressing repeated concerns for a secondary healer; but another zone may better use 2/2/2 or temporary teams of 2 or 3 during parts of thezone; and so on.

I think the proposal would institute a small penalty for 6 which may be worth it for your second healer.

I like the idea of 5 man groups... I would probably start leading again if this goes in.  I am too anti-social for the big annoying 10 man groups... I don't even follow you people.. the spam.  I have had to add code to parse some of you annoying people.