Author Topic: Stats -- Next Wipe  (Read 5954 times)

Chisul

• Immortal
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Pax
Re: Stats -- Next Wipe
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 10:21:46 AM »
I really like the potential for every eq slot to have meaning besides AC, V, or Armor. I am in now way an elite player and often have one or two slots with eq in it that really dosnt do much other than hold a slot and possibly effect one of the three above mentioned stats.

Adding plus stat to more equipment will be great. There are countless times I will go explore a new mid level zone only to toss away or sell all the equipment loaded because it really dosnt do much...or is basically identical to the eq I am currently using.

I would love to have greater "worth" applied to eq across the board giving me the opportunity to go find the best stat bonus for the generic -7 AC armor that can be loaded anywhere.

For example, I know there are several items in the game with similar stats that load in several different zones. But if I wanted a cloak that gave -AC and improved my DEX I would need to go find the right match. Maybe the zones I know and love only give INT cloaks or WIS cloaks...but I know DEX cloaks are out there so I need to take the time (and risk) to go find them.

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 08:14:35 PM »
I like many others, like the change.  However, I hope that stats become more meaningful.  Unless i am mistaken, stats aren't really that important in the current arctic stage.  What does 28 dex really do for you? anything?  I think think that stats need to become a more integral role in the character design so the game isn't only about +dam.

gnua

• Zone Leader
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 12:35:45 AM »
will the racial 'special abilities' be changed as well? If the starting stats are all relatively similar, I'm envisioning a wipe dominated by Qualinesti

Aristox

• Administrator
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 10:30:32 AM »
The goal is for stats to become increasing integral.  All of the calculations we change going forward will be stat based first, other stuff only if stat makes no sense at all.  Over the years we have moved more and more to a level-based algorithm system and that is breaking down more and more.  Stats are the future.

Gnua:  The racial bonuses will all be changed or removed.  That is one of the last things we will be looking at.

gnua

• Zone Leader
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 10:48:43 AM »
The goal is for stats to become increasing integral.  All of the calculations we change going forward will be stat based first, other stuff only if stat makes no sense at all.  Over the years we have moved more and more to a level-based algorithm system and that is breaking down more and more.  Stats are the future.

This also sounds like level will come with the possibility of stat increases. reminds me of D&D Cavalier

Tajs

• Favorite Zone: Dun mir
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 08:31:14 AM »
I'd be sad to see the rolling go, even if I curse it sometimes. I love the fact, that characters are not generic, that I/we all got unique characters. That is a huge plus for me. Likewise I think it would be a shame to remove racial bonuses.

In regards to the 1-100 stats, I dunno ...If this is how it'll be I'll hope it would turn out something like this:
If you wanna focus and get 100 or close to it in a stat, you'd more or less would have to forsake the others. So if you want to hit like a truck, you stack up strengths, but the lack of dex/con makes you a worse basher/parryer and gives you relatively low hps, compared to a guy who stacks up con. So you wouldn't see super high hp, oblitting, super bashing warriors for instance and the same for other classes.

Chisul

• Immortal
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Pax
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 04:38:11 PM »
Tajs,

If what you say proves true, we are going to see tons of variations on each class depending on the stat buffs each player chooses to use. I think that alone sounds pretty awesome.

With the correct configuration, we could see classes swapping between the roles of damage absorption, damage dealing, and healing. Imagine a thief with high enough dex bonus serving as a tank (miss miss miss) with a high damage ranger, and a high cure Druid. Could be cool to see how the many flavors will bubble up.

Dyl

• Zoner
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 03:13:57 PM »
But then thieves would only have to stack dex and nothing else since it was listed that dex would be their damage stat.  Warrior scenario works, not sure it applys to all classes.

gnua

• Zone Leader
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 07:52:04 PM »
If what you say proves true, we are going to see tons of variations on each class depending on the stat buffs each player chooses to use. I think that alone sounds pretty awesome.

I think every serious player will figure out what the 'best' is and go for that. just like with ranks. you might see some weird variations amongst the noobs.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 12:26:06 PM by gnua »

Jorake

• Zoner
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 05:07:00 PM »
So. How are weapons going to factor into this? I think more weapons should be level dependent. But take MoM mace for example. You need 28str to wield it atm. What is the number you would need with the new stats coming in?

Hoss

• Elder
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2014, 06:04:13 PM »

Tromiko

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2014, 04:37:51 AM »
Iunno about taking away rolling...this game is based on D&D, and the older players here know the feeling of rolling the die for your stats to place onto your character sheet.  There is enough variety right now in the game, and enough loads of mid-tier items for everyone to be happy.  Maybe I'm just lucky and check loads that nobody else does, or maybe people aren't really exploring like the dt happy kenders the playerbase used to be. As far as certain classes filling multiple rolls...that does make sense, except the thief tank.  Have fun with all those accidental dodge hits.  I don't know if I'm the only one who feels this way, but the 1-100 system and the initial starting stats for it just seems like everyone will be too similar.  I agree with Corey, you don't need to roll an elite char, but some of us, me included, will spend atleast a few days rolling for that *perfect* stat lineup, and it really is a fun process.  I just think if there was an open discussion of this on the game it would become clear that most people are really iffy about this, and it's not even the fact that it's just a change, people will always be stuck in their ways and iffy about change, it's the fact that this change would really change the face of the whole game, and if I was looking at this new system nine years ago, I probably wouldn't have even played.

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2014, 07:51:21 AM »
I prefer rolling.  otherwise you might as well get rid of the cornfields and start everybody at level 6

gnua

• Zone Leader
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2014, 12:27:20 PM »
I prefer rolling.  otherwise you might as well get rid of the cornfields and start everybody at level 6

I think you mean 26.

Ezio

• Fodder
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 09:03:46 PM »
What are you guys talking about? The perfect roll is the same for every race/class combo. It sounds exactly like it is now minus the time wasted with garbage rolls. Also sounds like that group of dudes who do things just to be different and original will still be able to do that. Why the negativity?