Author Topic: Stats -- Next Wipe  (Read 5028 times)

Aristox

• Administrator
  • Zone Leader
Stats -- Next Wipe
« on: January 15, 2014, 09:58:33 PM »
Charisma Removed

All useful bonuses of charisma were moved to wisdom.  All silly bonuses of charisma were flat out removed.

The stat never got fully fleshed out and with some of the other changes coming it was mostly in the way.

Expect Shamans to be a wisdom based class.

Melee Damage Stat Chosen By Class

Previously, all melee damage bonuses were applied via strength.  If you wanted to boost your melee damage get some +STR.

Next wipe this will be chosen class by class. Thieves will get a damage bonus from dexterity, Warriors from strength, etc.  These details will be listed in a help file somewhere.

This bonus will later be applied to spells as well, using intelligence and wisdom based on the caster.  We just haven't gotten that far yet.

Stat Range Increased: 1 to 100

The old range of 1 to 28 was very limiting.  We got set into the ways of any stat below 12 (or even 15) was unacceptable. This limited us to only about 16 stat points, which meant that every +1 was a huge gain.  Thus we have lots of gear with no stats on it, because it would be too good.  There is no way to make a decent low end item in this system.  All the okay mid level items get deep rented. Something had to change.

The 1 to 100 range opens up a lot of possibilities for gear changes, new spell and skill buffs and de-buffs.

Yes, all the gear will be reworked for this new range. As will specs, spells, skills, pretty much everything.

Stat Rolling Removed

Calm down.  There are going to be enough changes to deal with once we are done that you won't want to spend time stat rolling.

Could it come back later?  Anything is possible.

Your stats will be set based on guild modifiers and race modifiers.  Every character of the same race/guild combo will have the same starting stats, almost.

The primary stat choice option in the menu will be mandatory and will give you +2 to that stat.  Everyone will end up with 52 total stat points to start, 25 from the guild bonuses, 25 from the race bonuses and 2 from the primary stat choice.

[All numbers are subject to change without notice.]

Randomness
-All age-based stat bonuses removed.  They may come back later.
-Stats are set at level 1, not level 2.
-Something will be done with legend of lore scrolls/potions so they are more useful than just exposing stats you will eventually know.

There is more going on, this is just a quick overview.

corey

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
Re: Stats -- Next Wipe
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 08:07:20 AM »

Stat Rolling Removed

Calm down.  There are going to be enough changes to deal with once we are done that you won't want to spend time stat rolling.

WHY DON'T YOU JUST RIP MY HEART OUT AND SET IT ON FIRE.

I think half of my time is spent rolling. I enjoy it as much as playing!

Dyl

• Zoner
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 09:04:49 AM »
There should be something unique in stats/attributes.... add hidden luck stat that shows at lvl 20 or something similar.  Silly that all kender thieves are identical for instance.

Az

• Favorite Zone: TOWER OF ILLUSION
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 11:07:02 AM »
Just wondering why the choice to use 100 as the limit instead of 255. At first I was shocked and appalled at the changes, but then after thinking about it I'm pretty excited about the next wipe.

Dyl makes a good point. I suppose that the rank system is enough to avoid making character differentiation entirely gear based, but hidden things are fun.

Yes, all the gear will be reworked for this new range.
Let me know if I can make you a coffee...

rip charisma

Chisul

• Immortal
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Pax
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 11:13:02 AM »
Exciting!

Thanks for the greater visibility on some of the things churning in the back room! You have definately caught my interest. I look forward to future posts!

gnua

• Zone Leader
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 12:10:55 PM »
any word on how these static stats will play into the mysterious hidden learn/health stats? Will they be strictly driven by guild and race now? Or will they still be both unknown and variable?

Hoss

• Elder
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 02:13:48 PM »
Things like learn, health, etc...will be stat driven and not found on equipment. We are not at a point where we would release the exact ratio between INT and Learn.

gnua

• Zone Leader
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 03:14:32 PM »
Things like learn, health, etc...will be stat driven and not found on equipment. We are not at a point where we would release the exact ratio between INT and Learn.

thank you so much. nothing was more frustrating than getting a nice roll only to find out at level 12-13 there was a problem because of a huge number of spell failures or that there were just too few hit points. i dont mind the mystery but when coupled with the variability it was maddening.

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 04:07:58 PM »
Looks interesting and like a *$#@load of work.  Will be fun

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zoner
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 07:58:24 PM »
Just so my mind is wrapping around this: Str 1-100 Int 1-100 Wis 1-100 Dex 1-100 Con 1-100

We are starting with 52 total stats across the spectrum (i.e. str prime warrior) Str 14 Int 9 Wis 9 Dex 10 con 10

So my assumption is we're going to be seeing a lot multi-stat bonus stat items like: +5 str +2 dex +5 con bracer, +20 con breastplate of doom, etc?

Are we going to see +stats as we level?

Sounds fun!

Sean
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 08:14:36 AM by Zozen »

fulloflife

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 11:47:44 PM »
Not really sure why we need to move to 1-100 and can't simply just refactor existing eq with fractions, both would seem to achieve the same purpose mathematically.

Bunsen

• Immortal
  • Fodder
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 03:45:54 AM »
Not really sure why we need to move to 1-100 and can't simply just refactor existing eq with fractions, both would seem to achieve the same purpose mathematically.

Seems like a pretty easy thing to say when you aren't responsible for implementing the back-end changes. Frankly, I like the idea of not having to work in decimals to figure out my stats.

corey

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 05:27:52 AM »
If we look at the current stats system vs the future:

A current "average" character (by rolling means) will be about ~18(my take on average) across the board. 18/28 max stats = 64% of max
A future "average" character (by "rolling" means) will be about ~10.4(my take on average) across the board. 10.4/100 = 10.4% of max

Without prodding too much for info...

Are you guys looking to heighten health pools with a change like this? Damage increases? A lot more tiers of bonus slots? Possible "hidden" spells or skills at stat levels? New "extra" tiers of bonuses?

Side note:
Will we see a hit message stronger than obliterate in the game(it's becoming a lot more common in the past and it WOULD be nice to know when these hits are happening)?

Hoss

• Elder
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 09:41:31 AM »
You will have to wait and see what additional Development News posts are generated. I would hope these stay on topic (Stats) and not tangent out of control leaving the thread a disparate wasteland.

We know that many of you enjoy smashing your face into a brick wall aka rolling. As Corey points out, the overall stat totals given at level 1 will be a very small percentage of the total. It is that reason that we decided to take the randomness out of rolling. It just does not add any significant impact to the overall character development and only panders to the "elite" few that enjoy self-mutilation. Our overall playerbase is a little older in years, has a lot less time to spend gaming so we just wanted to skip the rolling foreplay and jump right into the game.

gnua

• Zone Leader
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 10:18:49 AM »
the overall stat totals given at level 1 will be a very small percentage of the total.

That sounds like at higher levels, some stat points will be given out. Or am I reading too much into this?