Author Topic: October 20th, 2013 - Looking Forward  (Read 20728 times)

Aristox

• Administrator
  • Zone Leader
Re: October 20th, 2013 - Looking Forward
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2013, 09:52:39 PM »
20 people out of 100 are playing right now. I would say at least 80%   of the player base would like a pwipe. I see over 100 people on every pwipe and believe it or not more people equals more fun.

That is all hyperbole.  You basically pulled those numbers out of your ass.  You could be completely right, but that would be pure luck. This is the precisely the kind of stuff I ignore when making decisions.

About the XP tables artistox/hoss Everyone but a hand full of people hate the XP tables. I killed over 40 people in August and the only complaints I got were " shit, now I have to go re XP for another 2-3 hours".   I liked that you made leveling harder but you made it  pretty ridiculous. I would like to hear why you guys are so against finding a median between the old and new XP tables.

More hyperbole here.

As for the question in your post:  I am not "so against" finding a compromise.  Hoss' post to start this thread said we will evaluate it.  If players are against something in large numbers, we usually are open to changing it.  There are a few exceptions (bots/multi-ing), but not many.

eddiex

• Zoner
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2013, 12:59:21 AM »
I think a pwipe would be nice in the near future.  I play a little now and can use my current characters to explore, i'd probably play more for the first 2 weeks to month then go back to my normal routine of periodic play.  Wipes always seem to bring back more people for a short duration.

XP Tables:  I've went back and forth about the xp tables.  I think as i sit here and ponder, one thing that most people don't present when they spew hate for the current xp tables is the way it affected early wipe.  As someone who started the wipe with no major clan affiliation, i found it much easier to find and form groups [although i did play a healing class (shaman)].   I think this increased the social interactions I engaged in.  This might be a result of the necessity of having at least 3 or 4 people to tag along to efficiently gain experience.  I personally ran into a number of old friends and also grouped with many people who i probably haven't interacted with in years.  The expeditious mentality usually seems to be adopted by those who seek out the highest level gear (these people invariably make up a significant portion of our small population) but that does not mean everyone feels the need to barrel through the leveling experience.  Consider this example: DKO on a group of 5 level 25's is much more exciting than a group of 5 level 30's.  It is only not exciting when we have our sights set on equipment of levels beyond this and we disregard the appreciation for the journey and only value the end game.

p.s. please laugh at my poor attempt at grammar and punctuation, it really isn't that important in the grand scheme of this forum... i think
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 01:03:24 AM by eddiex »

corey

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2013, 06:14:26 AM »
What are your thoughts on reverting the XP tables to what they were and making it so if you die to a mob you lose a full level no matter what, die to a player you lose 1/4 - 1/2 of a level no matter what?

This would #1 let people have their level 28-30s very fast like a normal wipe. This would keep people from zerging down the highest content on day 1 without severe risk of crippling their group.

It would make people think twice about heading towards content outside of their grasp.

The only problem I could see is later in the wipe where you run into the top, top tier mobs where death isn't a question of "if", but "when", and CRs become impossible. Solutions?

corey

• Zoner
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2013, 06:27:05 AM »
What are your thoughts on reverting the XP tables to what they were and making it so if you die to a mob you lose a full level no matter what, die to a player you lose 1/4 - 1/2 of a level no matter what?

This would #1 let people have their level 28-30s very fast like a normal wipe. This would keep people from zerging down the highest content on day 1 without severe risk of crippling their group.

It would make people think twice about heading towards content outside of their grasp.

The only problem I could see is later in the wipe where you run into the top, top tier mobs where death isn't a question of "if", but "when", and CRs become impossible. Solutions?

For a solution : what if at rank 10 exp loss was passively reduced to half a level, 15 to a quarter level, and at 20 exp loss is back to normal amounts?

Jorquin

• Administrator
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2013, 07:17:38 AM »
given that on pwipe most people attain rank 15 at about level 26-28, those two changes would effectively cancel each other out.

edit: i guess if the tables were reverted, that would be a little inaccurate since people will be higher level. people are generally closing (if not hitting) rank 20 in 1-1.5 weeks. partially because of sweet ranks everywhere, partially because everyone is going full nerd-mode.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 07:21:30 AM by daniel_1 »

corey

• Zoner
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2013, 07:22:01 AM »
given that on pwipe most people attain rank 15 at about level 26-28, those two changes would effectively cancel each other out.

To be fair it's only the first group that kills those mobs, so the bonus would have to be nullified somehow. Maybe no rank exp is attainable in the first couple days of the wipe? I'm sure there's a solution to that.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2013, 04:08:40 PM »
TBH, if you are working on popping books and gear at levels 20-25 you barely notice the xp...its when you are grinding to 25 so that you can START popping books and eq that it seems interminable.  You just have to realize that most characters at level 22 are now, thanks to improved skilling and early access to ranks, equivalent to the 25s of 2 or 3 wipes ago.

The takeaway is that if you are grouped and focused on the fun parts of the game the less fun parts start to disappear.

octan

• Fodder
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2013, 05:28:48 PM »
I'm sure this it NOT the fun part of this game.  (On both sides)

http://arctic.elay.org/index.php?option=viewlog&logid=3195

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2013, 06:14:37 PM »
I am getting the popcorn.

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2013, 07:07:07 PM »
Wow...evil tim is so...evil.
Kinda kewl that he summoned them back and just took the coinage, tho.
I am assuming he was not deleted for that pk, there wasn't even time for someone to log a complaint...

Bryton

• Zoner
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2013, 12:12:17 PM »
aristox, sorry that I don't have exact numbers but I'm sure they're close..

Thymorical

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Abyss
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2013, 04:03:30 PM »
Perhaps this Will once again bring balance back to the mud.

sart

« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2013, 07:58:00 PM »
I vote you make Bryton a guardian so he has access to the numbers

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2013, 08:21:55 PM »
help statistics september 2013