Author Topic: October 20th, 2013 - Looking Forward  (Read 20727 times)

Hoss

• Elder
October 20th, 2013 - Looking Forward
« on: October 20, 2013, 07:31:33 PM »
State of the Mud Address

Thank you all for taking the time to read this long winded thread. I hope that through this post I can shed some light
on the direction of the mud, timing, pwipes and new features and changes on the horizon.

Arctic has always been a great game, the combination of sandbox style development coupled with the dynamic content
generated by the players keeps us coming back for more. We all have our faults and I know we haven't always seen eye to eye,
but I hope that we can all bury whatever hatchets we have and move the game forward.

Class Design: I wanted to set the stage and shine a little light into the future of classes by divulging some
information about class design. Over the next few wipes we will be redesigning each class from the ground up. Nothing is
on or off the table at this point but the guiding philosophy will be to give most classes the ability to fill multiple
roles.

We will be keeping the holy trinity around, Tanking, Healing and Damage but we want players to be able to do more with
less. A Warrior for example, could become a great tank or swap and do some needed damage, a Druid could easily play main
healer and switch to damage when needed. We want the combinations to make sense and be more balanced for smaller groups,
not being able to run a zone because you dont have a Barbarian or have a 14+ heal Cleric online is something we want to
get away from. We hope to have enough uniqueness in each class that you can select something that fits your gameplay
without making each role generic and bland.

A while back we posted that one class most likely would not make the cut in the next wipe. That class is the Scout. I
won't go into any specifics other than the class did not play well with the current mechanics and vision we have for the
class. The Scout will be replaced by a completely overhauled Ranger class and we will release more about the class when
we have the design in a more finalized state.

Mechanics: To accomplish the class design we will be implementing several new game mechanics. The first of these new
mechanics is something we call 'weapon attack skills'. The skill 'long blades' is pretty boring so we are creating a
mechanic to add some life and variety to gameplay. Weapon attack skills are new skills that use the weapon class
(piercers, bludgeon, etc...) of the wielded weapon to perform different types of attacks. The weapon attack skills have
3 different types, a basic attack, an affect attack which adds different affects onto the target and a finisher attack.
The basic and affect attack can be used to unlock the finishing attack. In order to have the system effectively, we
collapsed the 'long blade' and 'short blade' into a single 'swords' class. This change means some short blades were
moved into the piercers category. The two-handed skill was completely removed and the weapons were placed into the
appropriate class.

We are also building a new mechanic to handle affects both positive and negative that occur as a result of a skill or
spell. Our goal with this mechanic is to allow for 'crowd control' type affects to work more of the time but limit
stacking/overuse of them. We are spreading crowd control abilities and leveling the playing field so that more classes
can perform them. Our hope is that players won't always need a Warrior to bash because a similar crowd control affect
can be delivered by another class. We are deep into the design of this system so I won't disclose to much but we are
trying to keep the mechanic balanced so that it affects players and mobs the same way. Our focus is to keep the
mechanics the same between PvP and PvE.

Some quick highlights on other mechanics that will be making their way into the game:
  • Hit point normalization: classes will have more of an equal base hp
  • Mages will become more gear dependent and the casting_level affect will be removed
  • Possible XP table changes. Don't get your hopes too high as we honestly think the tables were fairly close to where we
    wanted them but we have received the feedback from you and want to seriously evaluate some changes there.

Zones: The next wipe will bring a complete rewrite of an old zone. I hope that I can do as good as a job as Sanjuro has
done with Dargaard and we hope that we can keep refreshing old content for you to explore. Our goal is to redesign older
zones more to the Dragonlance theme in the War of the Lance timeline. We will be starting with the core zones and moving
out from there. This of course, is a long project and will take the longest but we will strive to keep fresh content
coming in each wipe in some shape or another.

Pwipe: A pwipe is coming, the unknown is exactly when. A lot of code and a lot of creation changes need to be made
before we can pwipe and the timing of that is just too much in flux to be able to lock down a date. We are open to
listening to arguments for a wipe just to wipe, but aren't sold that it is a great idea.

Jorquin

• Administrator
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
Re: October 20th, 2013 - Looking Forward
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 07:50:19 PM »
cool!

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 07:54:57 PM »
rangers are coming back!
I never cared much for scouts anyway, but I think Bumer part III won't be in the works for poor Ilya...

agarash

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 08:11:49 PM »
Still interest to know when is the expected wipe date. Possible to inform whether is on November-December'13 or much later?

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 08:17:11 PM »
I applaud the large effort of the small staff to take on such a large project and big changes.  We have read posts about the personal lives of the immortals in charge and the time constraints they have given their current situation.  Big game changes will take huge time commitments, so thank you for sacrificing to make the game more fun for us free-loaders.  Changes generally attract old players to come back and see whats all the hubbub about the new things.  The changes sound very cool and will be very fun to try out when they are implemented.

I have a very hard time understanding any justification of leaving the XP tables where they are.  Everyone (to my knowledge) who has posted on the subject has not enjoyed the new XP tables.  I don't know how much more people need to post and express their frustration to get the staff to understand that it is not fun. 

Regarding the Pwipe, the news really surprises me.  It sounds that there is going to be hundreds if not thousands of hours that will go into the listed changes.  I am not sure why you would want the game to continue limping along (especially as we enter Winter when player numbers are traditionally higher than Summer months) when an interim wipe would bring back several players and then introduce/test some of the changes slowly during the wipe to excite people for the wipe to come when the big stuff would enter.  I personally know of dozens of people who are waiting to return to the game when a pipe is announced, not when big changes to the game arise.  I think the staff is missing a huge advertising/recruiting/call it what you will opportunity to bring people back for a "wipe to wipe" wipe that will keep people around as info is slowly introduced for the big wipe to come.

Hoss

• Elder
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 08:56:49 PM »
XP: The change was meant to be a slight buffer so that players wouldn't race to level 30 in 2 hours and then ask themselves "Now what?". We do not want the xp treadmill to be too harsh that people stop halfway, but we do want to ensure that some level of resistance is there to provide enough exercise.

Wipe: We cannot introduce much mid-wipe, most the changes require a full wipe to be implemented. I was purposefully vague with dates as we just aren't close enough to a point that Aristox and I are comfortable with to start staging a wipe.

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 09:08:24 PM »
@Hoss - My post was very shitty, let me clarify:

First, regarding the XP - I think you guys did accomplish one of your primary objectives this wipe (eliminate quick lvling, eliminate trash chars from being created easily, etc.).  However, there are several people who quit halfway as u eluded to.  I have posted this 2 times, I will post it again.  Revert XP tables 1-25ish, somewhere in-between on levels 25-28, and current xp for 28-30.  That allows people to xp up to grouping stages solo and rather quickly, but requires lots of "exercise" to get to lvl 30.

Regarding Wipe - my bad.  What i was trying to say is Wipe just to Wipe now.  A lot of people are looking forward to a fresh start, not huge changes.  It will give you guys more time to code/make your changes, and then implement all that jazz in 6-8 months.

Kir

• Zoner
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 09:09:11 PM »
@Hoss... believe me, getting to 30 in 2 hours in arctic what is not a "now what" type of scenario, there is sooooo much content, plus ranking\skilling\legending that that is not even close to being an issue. Level 30 is basically where the real game starts in my opinion (this is a complement about arctic so please take it that way and don't be offended).

And as for pwipe: my 2 cents is pwipe just to pwipe, the playerbase is itching badly for a pwipe and we need something to do on our downtime during the upcoming holidays. When you gentlemen are ready to implement the LUBE changes, we will gladly accept another wipe, and hopefully this scenario will be more stress free due to not having to worry about deadlines.

RichE

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 09:37:32 PM »
It takes me a bit to set up leave dates so can we not have, "pwipe this friday." Just a request :).

xellos

• Fodder
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 09:38:12 PM »
pwipe the mudd please.

gnua

• Zone Leader
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 09:52:41 PM »
@Hoss... believe me, getting to 30 in 2 hours in arctic what is not a "now what" type of scenario, there is sooooo much content, plus ranking\skilling\legending that that is not even close to being an issue. Level 30 is basically where the real game starts in my opinion (this is a complement about arctic so please take it that way and don't be offended).

For me the game starts at level 26. 4 heals on a cleric, very good rescue on a tank. Below that point, you are doing boring stuff while all your friends are having fun and asking you to level up faster. Above that point, your friends are asking you to join the group and telling you to make coffee when you tell them you need to log off and go to sleep. At that point there is so much left to do. popping gear, popping books, ranking, coins, major coins, and uber coins, rolling a character with better stats. I have played casually on and off since 1997 and I always felt there was room for someone like me until this wipe.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 10:01:33 PM by gnua »

Baxter

• Immortal
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 10:03:10 PM »
I agree with wiping right now for the sake of wiping.

Neal

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 10:12:09 PM »

Wipe: We cannot introduce much mid-wipe, most the changes require a full wipe to be implemented. I was purposefully vague with dates as we just aren't close enough to a point that Aristox and I are comfortable with to start staging a wipe.

Then don't worry about that about introducing the new content just yet. Everyone has been patient, nothing will change that. But I'm sure more people than not, will agree that the active numbers on mud, on a consistent basis, does not indicate that it is in a "mid-wipe" state.

Wipe soon (give a reasonable time frame to prepare, if applicable) to get some players back and establish these newer clans /individuals that joined us this wipe before the big changes come down the road.

Thanks.

patersmith

• Favorite Zone: Temple of Orcus
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 11:20:14 PM »
Nice.

I can play a Ranger again! 

patersmith

• Favorite Zone: Temple of Orcus
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 11:36:19 PM »
When I read Gnua's post, I tried to remember when arctic started.. and I could not. 
I began the first  Winter when arctic was first up. That was either 1990 or 1991 (im pretty sure, because I was just finishing school then.)   So I went to wikipedia and could not find an entry for Arctic.
It Does have a entry for DIKU muds and ARCTIC is mentioned in the Examples list (the last of nine entries).  Several of the other named muds have links but Arctic does not.

It might be a very good idea to have an entry there to induce more player to try arctic.