Author Topic: Tips for warrior solo?  (Read 4931 times)

dbecer01

Tips for warrior solo?
« on: August 05, 2013, 03:09:58 PM »
Does anyone have tips for a solo warrior? I don't like spending so much time sleeping to regen hp. Aside from all of the time it takes, I also don't like being vulnerable to stealing and backstabs while I'm sleeping; not to mention missing out on any shouts or anything that's going on in general.

I know first aid and alcohol can help a little when I level up, but you can still spend half an hour waiting to go again. Is there anything else that I can do, or should I give up on the warrior, unless I can find groups?

Jarrad

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Isle of Shadows
Re: Tips for warrior solo?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 04:44:07 PM »
I would suggest that you level up solo in bashmode. You will benefit from shield block training and bash training with a halfway good shield and bash is the most essential skill for the warrior class. Don't sleep to regen, simply bandage yourself and rest before the tics. I suspect (untested) that sleeping might stop your vigor skill from going off. Once your vigor skill gets above poor you will find that you don't have to rest to regen alot. The key is picking the right zones for your class and level...
This strategy will initially slow things down, because when you miss bashes and are sitting the mobs will do extra damage to you, but you will soon find that punch bashing mobs will have them at fair. Keep checking the world merchant for shields and shout for them. Ideally you want something that is good quality or better...
Try not to stray too far away from a guildmaster when you are low level so you can learn as soon as you get a * next to your skills when you type skill.
And of course try shouting for groups to speed things up. Good luck!

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 06:50:57 PM »
Depends on your alignment. Leveling on evil char should be the same for all classes, please check in the other post where I listed the zones to get you to level 20.

Here are some additional notes that will ease your solo'ing.

1. Find recuperate rooms near where you zone. There is one near solace inn. There is one in Matthias mansion. One in haven forest. One before the newsea (near que kiri entrance).
2. Vigor starts to kick in and train at around lvl 17ish. I'm not sure why it seldom work at lower level or I might be leveling too fast to give it a chance to kick in. Once you have vigor kicking in, it should ease your resting for hp. Helps even more with vigor and recup on the same tick.
3. Shield or no shield: I usually just double wield and punch kick-high all the time. This allows you to triple hit from melee and max kick/punch damage. Bash is more of a fluff at sub 20 level. Shield block don't kick in till past 20. So leave that till you are like lvl 25 to start shield mode.
4. I cannot stress enough to get hitroll eq and ranks when you can afford it especially for a warrior class.
5. No reason to sip alcohol unless you are a barbarian.

If you can manage to find a woodsman set, that is a nice set for leveling low/mid tank classes.

suf

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 08:02:05 PM »
Two weapons.
Kick.

dbecer01

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 10:14:20 AM »
Thank you very much for the info.

Jarrad

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Isle of Shadows
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 11:54:34 AM »
Traditionally I would have been all for the dual wield kick. A landed bash is now = to an obliterate. With an excellent quality shield you can do 80+ damage quite consistently...

Anyway, do as you please!

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 12:46:47 PM »
Traditionally I would have been all for the dual wield kick. A landed bash is now = to an obliterate. With an excellent quality shield you can do 80+ damage quite consistently...

Anyway, do as you please!

I don't disagree with you. The problem with this is for most lowbie warriors, they have no access to
1. excellent shield
2. excellent bash
3. excellent vigor

A missed bash => lag for 1-2 rounds, more damage from mob, zero bash damage, punch have to wait till lag wears

A landed bash => mob does same damage, you do more damage, bash damage, but you will have to wait for mob to stand to bash again.

A missed kick => no lag ie kick again next round, same damage from mob, punch whenever it's back up

I don't have actual numbers, but I think damage wise it goes something like this

bash > kick high > kick > punch > kick low

Do note, bash is every other round (assuming mob stands), kick high is every round. Factoring melee damage, you need to sort out which gives an edge at lower skill levels with misses all over the screen.

(bash + 1.3 * melee + disabled mob) vs (2 * kick high + melee + mob is free to cast/skill)

If anything, being able to recall anytime (something you probably do very often solo'ing) wins the argument. Also double wielding speeds up your weapon skilling. I do recommend getting long/blungeon/axe/miscel/ and pole/two-hander as starting weapon skills.

At higher level though, I totally agree with you. Punch/bash (+ kick when you have a chance) is the way of a real warrior.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 12:54:52 PM by gulca »

suf

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 05:15:17 PM »
You can always train bash when you group and lie about your bash skill.

dbecer01

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 09:45:48 PM »
Is there an optimal race for a warrior? I was thinking of going half-ogre. Something that hits hard, so that I can kill faster and take less dmg, but I don't want my race selection to limit where I can go - because they main point of this is to learn the mud and explore.

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 05:26:31 PM »
I won't put any numbers up but here are some things to think about when making a new warrior.

1. Avg 8 hours of playtime from level 1 to level 20 on evil warrior (solo). So don't worry about having a bad roll now. Just start over and make a fresh start.
2. Mino and half-ogre get the best overall str. Also they have age bonus for str. Get infra item or infra rank (cost 1rp).
3. A lot of nice primes have 27 or 28 str limit. If you start with 24 str, you can buy 4 str ranks to hit 28, or wear a few str eq to wield these primes. Since not many ppl meet the str requirement, you do find these weapons in world merchants.
4. Dex comes in handy for bashing and this is the most valued skill as a warrior for zoning.
5. My stat preferences Str > Con > Dex > Wis > Int. I usually want max str and close to max con dex for a keeper. I spend avg of 3 min per roll (from level 1 to 3) in Solace sewers, longer if I need coins to buy a potion of knowledge.

I would suggest learning Theros quest in solace to equip yourself with an avg prime. Buy one of the iron weapon from him and listen to him to start quest. Doable at lvl 10. This way you will always have access to a ok weapon in case you can't find any at world merchant and somehow you lose your stuff in dt or pk or death with no cr.

As to your question about race limiting where you can go, I don't think you need to worry about it.

snax

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 02:19:51 PM »
I won't put any numbers up but here are some things to think about when making a new warrior.

2. Mino and half-ogre get the best overall str. Also they have age bonus for str. Get infra item or infra rank (cost 1rp).
4. Dex comes in handy for bashing and this is the most valued skill as a warrior for zoning.
5. My stat preferences Str > Con > Dex > Wis > Int. I usually want max str and close to max con dex for a keeper. I spend avg of 3 min per roll (from level 1 to 3) in Solace sewers, longer if I need coins to buy a potion of knowledge.

As to your question about race limiting where you can go, I don't think you need to worry about it.

If you're up for learning however, you should be open to trying fun and unique combinations of rolls and races.
There are at least 1-2 unique things to virtually every race/gender/align combination on the game (albeit chaotic neutral is more or less screwed on any truly nice item)

Try prioritizing stats in a way that minimizes tedium

High con = generally higher hp while high dex = easier to land hits, bash, punch/kick etc...28 str is nice, but 28 str isn't very useful after you are dead, but for exploring sakes, some things are min_strength (heavy doors, morbidly obese gnomes and slime cats, etc)

I'ld say if you're not planning on clanning or trying to overtake the rank 35000 tanks on the game to consider a stat selection along the lines of dex > con > str > wis > int > cha

but it's really a matter of you playing around and establishing what works for you!
edit:  don't forget that some races regen moves (and to a tiny extent hp) a LOT faster than others, so your half ogre might get 22 v / tick sleeping whereas a human kender or half elf might get 60 resting!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 02:21:34 PM by snax »

Gord

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 10:22:56 AM »

1. Avg 8 hours of playtime from level 1 to level 20 on evil warrior (solo). So don't worry about having a bad roll now. Just start over and make a fresh start.
3. A lot of nice primes have 27 or 28 str limit. If you start with 24 str, you can buy 4 str ranks to hit 28, or wear a few str eq to wield these primes. Since not many ppl meet the str requirement, you do find these weapons in world merchants.

I would suggest learning Theros quest in solace to equip yourself with an avg prime. Buy one of the iron weapon from him and listen to him to start quest. Doable at lvl 10. This way you will always have access to a ok weapon in case you can't find any at world merchant and somehow you lose your stuff in dt or pk or death with no cr.

What is the keyword to get Theros to recognize you have one of the items he needs?  I tried present,display, give...no luck.

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zoner
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2016, 10:26:47 AM »
did you listen to him with the weapon?

Gord

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2016, 10:31:08 AM »
yes, he doesn't say anything

oom

• Fodder