Author Topic: Opt no-pk flag; how could it work?  (Read 969 times)

Nostramazos

Opt no-pk flag; how could it work?
« on: July 15, 2017, 05:39:53 AM »
Instead of hijacking other threads, let's open up a new one for this.

Opt no-pk flag could be a default setting on creation that will get much love from certain type of players i.e. me. I assume most players would chose to have one opt no-pk flag character and the rest would be as normal. The idea is that you have one character that you can use to explore and have fun even if your whole clan is on a deadly war with two headed, four handed, five legged and no reproductive organs (unless you can fit gear on them) players from another clan.

Now, I am no coding expert. At age 5, I zipped the Internet and I live off royalties ever since, so I never had to learn code. What I would suggest is the following:

a) Opt no-pk flag characters have access to levels and ranks like everyone else

b) Limit the gear that opt no-pk flag players will have access to. These gear can be decided from the players themselves. This will be a process to be refined within the wipe. No bashes, damage reduction, and ALL +damage essentially? All yours. You want to decide on some other gear during the wipe, i.e. set pieces. Please do. Opt no-pk flags after all are meant to explore and dt a lot. ANYONE who wants to make an uber duper super character should NOT choose an opt no-pk flag character.

c) Opt no-pk players can be grouped with pk players, however, the second one of the normal players flags themselves, group automatically disbands and we go to a mode where opt no-pk players cannot use any skills and spells on the flagged players.

Many disagreements concern how such a system can be abused. What happens if opt no-pk player rushes in Silvanesti and heals Cyan and then the sky falls on our heads and we all die and the opt no-pk player has 8 corpses to loot and loots everything and rents and lives happy ever after:

a) When I hear of the potential abuses that a future system may bring about, my mind tends to wander to all the abuses that actually happen now. So, none of you pretend that the system is non-abusable now. We are trying to mend something that is broken, not something that works fine.

b) Restriction to loot will still occur even if they are in a corpse. Maybe we allow groupmates to loot each other but if not in a group, an opt no-pk char will not be able to loot which ever eq are in the restrictions list. Yeah, let them loot the freaking short-sword. Who cares. But your precious dragon orb will be safe, and you can loot it back and you can stroke it more than your other orbs because this is who you are.

c) Other types of abuses i.e. spies spying your every move with a opt no-pk flag char will happen as they happen now with level 1 bots of all kind.

These are my 2 cents and they are worth gold.

Ideas?

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
Re: Opt no-pk flag; how could it work?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 08:37:43 PM »
just make it a free for all, and only the owner of the gear can loot it, it seems to be a pvp friendly system that ive seen in other games before that would keep the ball rolling for both parties involved, you could still disrupt zoning and have wars and fights, but when you log on and type claim, your gear comes rushing back to you maybe?

it certainly is better than nopk at all, not that i do a lot of hunting myself
makes the players who are sick of having their gear stripped off them each time they load it happier, and keeps the angry wardogs from raiding the peasants out of any nice gear they happen to load.

it would still encourage people to learn new zones since they couldnt just raid other players, and at the same time make pk a little less harsh while still allowing pk to happen.

Oligo

• Immortal
  • Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Dunmir
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 08:26:11 AM »

Now, I am no coding expert. At age 5, I zipped the Internet and I live off royalties ever since, so I never had to learn code.

Al Gore plays Arctic?

Jang Yoo Sung

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Storms Keep
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 07:12:14 PM »
i like the opt_nopk idea

if i may suggest for easy coding purposes why dont we make those chars who are opt nopk unable to pick up / wear gear that equates to a brilliant/bright mote?
since the coding for those gear would prolly have already been done, it would seem easier from a dummie's perspective...

i also like gram's idea but then u cant cr for your peeps if they die right?

Jorake

• Zoner
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 06:45:18 AM »
If we are just staying nopk, then I suggest we use the pardon function and make a consent function to allow corpses to be looted

Auzandy

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 04:15:14 PM »
Instead of nopk chars being unable to obtain 'elite' equip, what if :

- they simply lose their nopk flag if they loot/are given an 'elite' item. Opt_accept_elite to prevent abuse
- hp drop to 1 (or something low) when nopk char loot/are given elite items - this makes trash loot harder, but enables planned use of elite equip, and adds factor of unknown eg is that dudes nopk char exploring with a nobash?
- nopk flag stays off x tics after obtaining 'elite' item, to prevent abuse - eg handing elite item to groupie/charmie to save self

I havent played for yrs, so havent thought the consequences through....but Im sure someone will do that on my behalf, with the appropriate levels of abuse and trolling

kholos

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 09:45:01 AM »
just make it a free for all, and only the owner of the gear can loot it, it seems to be a pvp friendly system that ive seen in other games before that would keep the ball rolling for both parties involved, you could still disrupt zoning and have wars and fights, but when you log on and type claim, your gear comes rushing back to you maybe?

it certainly is better than nopk at all, not that i do a lot of hunting myself
makes the players who are sick of having their gear stripped off them each time they load it happier, and keeps the angry wardogs from raiding the peasants out of any nice gear they happen to load.

it would still encourage people to learn new zones since they couldnt just raid other players, and at the same time make pk a little less harsh while still allowing pk to happen.

I like this idea. Imagine unlimited gear (at lower percents) and never losing it to PK. Suddenly, people are bold, try harder fights, fight more often, but worry less. The greatest happiness for the greatest number of people!

Grumpelnort

• Immortal
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 12:53:35 PM »
Idea:

Significant increase in experience loss upon death; Increase difficulty of all content (especially end fights).

All gear is unlimited by category.  Common i.e. +wis head worn, +wis wrist worn, etc (50% load rate), Rare i.e. +dam wrist worn, etc  (25 % load rate), Very Rare: i.e. +heal wrist worn, +dam finger worn, etc  (10% load rate), Ultra Rare: i.e. Dragon Orb, no_bash, big 3 area, etc (5% load rate).  These are obviously just examples, and the load rate could be tweaked further depending on the difficulty of the encounter and the quality of the item/spell.  All end game fights should have loot tables, so something is guaranteed to load.

Death by mob = experience loss, rank loss,  player corpse is generated with 12 hour timer (CR Required), - Only owner can loot or someone who is given consent.  If corpse is animated by a mob, normal rules apply to corpse, ending the 48 hour timer - again all player vs. environment content should pose a much higher risk against the player due to unlimited equipment.

Death by player =  experience loss, player corpse is generated with 24 hour timer (CR required), All coins and 1 item can be looted by the opposing party.  This would allow clans to test their abilities against one another, but it would not be so devastating to lose a battle.  Corpses generated via Player vs. Player combat are flagged no_animate.

Optional - New book spell added: Summon Corpse - After a player of group of adventurers have exhausted their efforts at attempting to CR and an appropriate amount of time has passed, the summon corpse spell could be utilized.  The spell should require an expensive reagent and have target based cool down.  This spell would allow the caster to summon a corpse of an ally (group member).  However, there is a catch.  The spell cannot guarantee the safe delivery of all items on the corpse (maybe 50%).  I would also add some sort of negative affect to this spell.  Allow it to prompt the target to say 'accept' the summon similar to the clan accept command - if accepted, target is hit with experience loss and a guarantee that 50% of equipment will be destroyed.  In summary, this should be a last resort option that can't be used often.

Option continued: New book spell added: Resurrection - 5 minute +/- cool down to recast and can only be used if the caster is in the room where the corpse was originally generated/created. instantly summons group member/ally to room where corpse is located.  Spell prompts the target to accept the resurrection similar to the clan accept command.  Corpses can only be resurrected once.  Target cannot be in combat.  Caster can be in combat - this would create some interesting battle rez opportunities.    This spell would restore a significant amount of lost  experience (80%).  This would encourage people to conduct a traditional CR to gain their lost experience back.  This spell should have a short cool down, perhaps 5 minutes to avoid abuse.

Just some ideas of course, feel free to tweak, expand further, or criticize.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 03:19:04 PM by Grumpelnort »

eddiex

• Zoner
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 11:13:19 PM »
why don't you just leave it no pk and see all the shady toxic shit people do to keep their gear hoarded.  this pseudo-pk mud thread is just pitiful.

Nostramazos

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 02:43:02 PM »
I would urge you to acquaint yourself with the correct use of the word pseudo. The element of pretense is fundamental to the correct use of the word and this thread is nothing more than it says it is; a way to bring, similar-to-you-type players back to Arctic Mud.

As for the pain that shady toxic people have caused you and your equipment you are in luck. Maza Nostra has a free line if you want to share your story and seek advice. Please fill out the victim survey after the phone call and remember. You are alone. I mean not alone.

Nostramazos

ps. the rest keep providing ideas!

Thymorical

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Abyss
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 03:22:46 AM »
I would urge you to acquaint yourself with the correct use of the word pseudo. The element of pretense is fundamental to the correct use of the word and this thread is nothing more than it says it is; a way to bring, similar-to-you-type players back to Arctic Mud.

As for the pain that shady toxic people have caused you and your equipment you are in luck. Maza Nostra has a free line if you want to share your story and seek advice. Please fill out the victim survey after the phone call and remember. You are alone. I mean not alone.

Nostramazos

ps. the rest keep providing ideas!
Nostramazos is like the guy who speaks in 3rd person at the bar I imagine..
But honestly removing pk from the game even for a short while has got to be the best thing arctic has ever done. The thrill of arctic is gone. No reason to play a game when such basic rules can be changed just because one person was picking on some bitch.
And as he cried and cried the tears flooded the the world like this bible story...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesis_flood_narrative

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zoner
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 06:30:34 PM »
And yet... Numbers are the same.

Thymorical

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Abyss
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 10:26:42 PM »
That's good to hear. I am sure we are all glad to get rid of them less desirable players.

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zoner
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 11:08:38 PM »
Not sure I see how the "less desirable players" have been gotten rid of. It's their choice and not another clan/persons choice to play or not.

While I don't like how the setup currently is with the mud in terms of pvp (I believe there needs to be some form of pvp) and other aspects of the game it is not restricting anyone from playing the game.

Dagda

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 10:04:51 AM »
It has increased the forum activity in terms of whining though!