Author Topic: Terms of Engagement: #1 When should PK be allowed?  (Read 1688 times)

Chisul

• Immortal
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Pax
Re: Terms of Engagement: #1 When should PK be allowed?
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2017, 09:53:37 PM »
Rep: Over the years I've been a mostly neutral clan-hopping lamer. Been around ever since a crazy Malaysian in college introduced me to the game some 20 years ago. Currently MYTH follower and occasional zone leader. Fought lots back in the BSP era.

Proposed Solution: Create two circumstances where PVP damage can happen.

1. A non-clan tagged character is full PK mode. Can be killed by other non-clan tagged characters and does 100% damage to other non-clan tagged characters.

2. Clan-tagged characters are 0% PVP damage. Until Clan Chieftain uses a new function CLAN WAR to declare war on another clan. Once the Chieftain of the other clan ACCEPTS the CLAN WAR tag, it's 100% game on between all clan-tagged characters. BUT they are 0% PVP damage against anyone else.

For Example:

Rasheed (Chieftain of Squirrel Clan) declares war against Meddaugh (Chieftain of Anna Clan). Meddaugh can choose to ACCEPT or DECLINE. If it's accepted, game on. If not, PVP damage is still 0%.

Of course there would need to be a mechanic for CLAN PEACE where Rasheed (after getting his clan gets beat on enough) decided to ask for peace. Terms are settled between Chieftains and Rasheed then uses Option CLAN PEACE and Meddaugh accepts it.

Now before everybody looses their mind about transfer of eq from PK players to non PK players, we simply state anyone getting caught doing it is deleted. Period. If you receive eq in a transfer to protect it from PK your char is deleted. If you pass eq to a non PVP character you get deleted.

If a war is on, any of the cheating cheapness simply results in the red button being pushed. With the option of deleting additional characters as determined by the upper staff.

No need for arenas, No need for special PK days, a separate port, we just keep it simple to those that want to enjoy PK and go un-tagged and kill each other till they are blue in the face. Or if two clans wanna duke it out, get after it.

Those that want to explore and collect shiny eq without fear of losing it can continue on in their Carebear little way with no fear of getting "ambushed".

There should also be an option for those who flame excessively on the forums (you know who you are) to get their butts whomped on the mud simply on principle...but I can't think of a good way to make that happen. I'm serious about this one. There is enough asshattery on this forum to make me want to puke.

Matt

Bryton

• Zoner
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2017, 10:24:26 PM »
Representation: player of 10ish years, always wanted to be an immortal, been in a few clans all have ended up dominating, #1 druid of arctic 10 years running. Most pks by a druid 10 years running, most being pked while playing a druid 10 years running. Most damage by a druid 10 years running. 1st to get stoneskin 10 years running (thanks david), I single handedly got nate to quit arctic(you all are very welcome), and I love zoning, well following others around and collecting my druid eq/spells/ranks/xp

Anyways I think all of your ideas are horrible. Any idea that requires immortals intervention is stupid and not very well thought out. Please think of a way that doesn't require immortals to do anything besides fix bugs and add game content. If you're idea requires immortals to delete or abyss anyone it's a bad idea..

Also on and off pk will never work. Example: Myth mass dies to a mob, Evil Rise goes in and loots all eq. Myth trys to war Rise to get eq back. Evil Rise says no........... there are so many bad things about an on and off pk system, its like trusting Bernie Madoff with your retirement. Its such a bad idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nostramazos

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2017, 04:15:40 AM »
Nostramazos: Casual player for some decades, Maza Nostra clan and Beast clan, Bearer of the Red Button and ruling Adepali in basketball

@Terk. I know that the thread has been high-jacked but there are some good ideas here.

@Chisul. Some very good idea on the clan pk. I think you kind of inspired me to suggest that if hard core players who know Arctic's gear can decide on a list of gear that are perceived as important, then Immortals could trace those gear and make sure they delete any chars that deep renting them. That obviously would need some guidelines and Immortals would need to enforce these; for everyone.

@Bryton. The fact that you just bragged about single-handedly leading a player to quit is an illustration of RISE's ugly face. I wonder how you did that and what leads you to brag about it. Your posting abilities are basic at best and you complain a lot. So, it wasn't your writing skills that leads you to you claim of Nate quitting. That leaves us with excessive pkilling/bullying (which is what RISE has been accused of in the past) and/or abusive language.

I am not going to pretend that Nate was an angel. I was not privy to the extremely abusive dialogues that you guys hurled at each other. If even half of what I heard was true then it is definitely something you should not be bragging about.

@RISE. Just remember what has brought you at a point where it is hard to shed the past off you. Look above (no, not there, I meant the text..sheesh).

Nostramazos

Bryton

• Zoner
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2017, 08:02:02 AM »
Nostramazos: Casual player for some decades, Maza Nostra clan and Beast clan, Bearer of the Red Button and ruling Adepali in basketball

@Terk. I know that the thread has been high-jacked but there are some good ideas here.

@Chisul. Some very good idea on the clan pk. I think you kind of inspired me to suggest that if hard core players who know Arctic's gear can decide on a list of gear that are perceived as important, then Immortals could trace those gear and make sure they delete any chars that deep renting them. That obviously would need some guidelines and Immortals would need to enforce these; for everyone.

@Bryton. The fact that you just bragged about single-handedly leading a player to quit is an illustration of RISE's ugly face. I wonder how you did that and what leads you to brag about it. Your posting abilities are basic at best and you complain a lot. So, it wasn't your writing skills that leads you to you claim of Nate quitting. That leaves us with excessive pkilling/bullying (which is what RISE has been accused of in the past) and/or abusive language.

I am not going to pretend that Nate was an angel. I was not privy to the extremely abusive dialogues that you guys hurled at each other. If even half of what I heard was true then it is definitely something you should not be bragging about.

@RISE. Just remember what has brought you at a point where it is hard to shed the past off you. Look above (no, not there, I meant the text..sheesh).

Nostramazos

@Nostramazos My headline was more of a joke, I don't think I've played much in the last 10
Years... also Nate attacked me at brass dragon and died then quit. So...... take everything you said back nostrqmazos!!

Nostramazos

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2017, 06:10:03 AM »
Dammit! I think I hit a vein.

I take everything back. See if the world is a better place now. It is not.

Nostramazos

Soma

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2017, 06:05:15 PM »
Casual unknown player since 95ish.

I love the PvE side of Arctic and have always tried to avoid the PvP side.  I've had only a handful of level 30 characters, mostly because it gets more challenging to group at the higher levels without someone getting paranoid you are the enemy.  "Who are you?"  I'm just a nice guy that wants to battle some text dragons.

I introduced two non-mudding friends to Arctic earlier this year and they loved it, but neither fact that it was unrestricted PvP.  I let them know about these changes and we agreed to play together again soon.

I'm very excited to see the staff considering some changes to curb PvP.  I would love to see PvP as completely optional or turned off.  I'm sure there will be challenges associated with these changes, but I hope we give it a shot and do our best to work through those challenges.

Neyman

• Fodder
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2017, 01:11:55 AM »
Representation: Came to this game super late and played for a couple years recently, but stopped.

Hello! Randomly looked up arctic out of nostalgia and decided to post after I saw all the drama and a Terk thread.

I loved that arctic has PvP. Not that I ever really did any PvP and when it happened I pretty much was horrible at it. But I liked that at any moment, someone could appear, and pk me. It made the game so much more tense, exciting, and unpredictable. Plus there would be all this player drama, alliances, spying, etc. Then again, I am probably not the typical player ... I most liked reading descriptions, figuring out zones, trying to figure out the minimum number of people necessary to do a fight/zone/puzzle, and generally chatting with people. Plus I never actually had good enough equipment to warrant getting pked.

Anyway ... not very helpful but just wanted to say hi :)

Oh almost forgot ... I played characters named Neyman, Efron, Politis, and some others. Basically if it was statistician's name it was probably me.   
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 01:13:46 AM by Neyman »

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2017, 07:07:11 PM »
@Bryton, its a little farfetched to say the BEST druid on mud, but as someone who was an enemy of yours for years i learned to definatly respect your determination, carefree pk mentality, and skills absolutely.
ive seen druids solo bmobs, irda, and plenty of other larger harder things.... mind you those are nobash/dragonorb druids and its been a couple of wipes now since any druid has been THAT strong as far as I have personally seen, druids are seriously hurtin and need some loving

ALSO nate never quit when you pulled that masterful hit on us, i member it as if it was yesterday...

The pk flags were just put in, so you got flagged on purpose with an imm gas item, went and hid at the gas spec room with flags, we saw the bait and got 2x tether mages with me on locki and someone else on their tank, 3 of us died, but nobody quit.
It was brilliant play on your part and i commend you but nate never quit playing because of rise i dont think.

also dont blame rise for what bryton does!!!! they have said numerous times they claim no responsibility for his crazy pk tactic actions!!

xellos

• Fodder
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2017, 06:02:09 PM »
declaring war is kinda stupid, a lot of wars jump off because of split second decisions. example, lets go repop our limit 1 item, oh there is a group there, they are the only real competition for the elite gear in the game, shields on.