Author Topic: Rising threat  (Read 4966 times)

kmark101

Re: Rising threat
« Reply #180 on: July 19, 2017, 08:11:25 AM »
Let me add my 2 cents (after playing for 21 years now, more or less).

I think there are two main problems with Arctic as of recently. First one is the power creep, second one is quitting_over_reckless_pvp situation. I think both can be cured with code changes.

From my point, the first one is a bigger problem and so far the bandaid fixes (8man groups, etc..) caused more harm.
My idea to control this would be that the group limit should be increased to 10, 12 or even remove the group limit. Friends, groups could freely zone, do stuff and pop gear. Except for the top gear, where group limit could count. For example onyx shield would never drop unless the zone and the mob was done by 6 characters. With this, we could both let friends play and explore, while toying with the numbers to pop the top gear could be changed as the wipe folds out (it could start with nolimit, then changed later as ppl reach legendary chars).

Second point, the pvp situation should be handled with the clan options. Clanned person could not be attacked, unless the clan is in war. Clans could declare war on each other for a given period of time. Same clan would not be able to declare war on the same target right after a war. When a clan is in war, the clanmembers gear decays in rent much faster, but much slower when they are online (or even nodecay while online). Multiple clans could declare war on the same target, but only when the clan size is large enough. Etc. etc.. along this line.

Implementing these will fix 99% of Arctic problems (the remaining 1% is to simple decrease the xp required for level 30 by half).

blackmagus

• Fodder
« Reply #181 on: July 19, 2017, 08:36:21 AM »
Second point, the pvp situation should be handled with the clan options. Clanned person could not be attacked, unless the clan is in war. Clans could declare war on each other for a given period of time. Same clan would not be able to declare war on the same target right after a war. When a clan is in war, the clanmembers gear decays in rent much faster, but much slower when they are online (or even nodecay while online). Multiple clans could declare war on the same target, but only when the clan size is large enough. Etc. etc.. along this line.

Agreed. However, people will simply bot and remain online all the time, using timers or triggers to eat/drink in order to preserve their shinies. One way to counteract this is to remove sealable areas in zones and make it so while at war, peace_rooms do not exist. A declaration of war should last two-three days; a long enough period to have  some fun, but also a short period in which a lesser clan can rent out. Make it so a clan after they have been warred cannot be declared again against for the same three or so days.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 12:49:53 PM by blackmagus »

Jorake

• Zoner
« Reply #182 on: July 19, 2017, 08:36:47 AM »
Who is blackmagus? What clan are you in?

Bryton

• Zoner
« Reply #183 on: July 19, 2017, 11:39:55 AM »
Who is blackmagus? What clan are you in?

Some trash that hides behind a fake name in fear.

blackmagus

• Fodder
« Reply #184 on: July 19, 2017, 12:48:14 PM »
I'd advise reading prior threads for that answer.

Kadaj

• Zoner
« Reply #185 on: July 19, 2017, 03:05:15 PM »
Keith is also an original Rise player who got his medical degree and is now working in Internal Medicine helping patients everyday...., ya know, because Rise are so scummy and all.

Haha, I'm sorry but this was funny. I've known Keith for a very long time as well, he's a good guy. Just the fact that you had to point that out gave me a chuckle.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 02:21:23 PM by Kadaj »

Chisul

• Immortal
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Pax
« Reply #186 on: July 19, 2017, 08:35:48 PM »
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 09:10:12 PM by Chisul »

Rus

« Reply #187 on: July 20, 2017, 07:37:43 AM »

Agreed. However, people will simply bot and remain online all the time, using timers or triggers to eat/drink in order to preserve their shinies. One way to counteract this is to remove sealable areas in zones and make it so while at war, peace_rooms do not exist. A declaration of war should last two-three days; a long enough period to have  some fun, but also a short period in which a lesser clan can rent out. Make it so a clan after they have been warred cannot be declared again against for the same three or so days.

How about just to change
"When a clan is in war, the clanmembers gear decays in rent much faster, but much slower when they are online"
to
"When a clan is in war, the clanmembers gear decays in rent/peace much faster, but much slower when they are online/out of peace"

blackmagus

• Fodder
« Reply #188 on: July 20, 2017, 08:37:12 AM »
I really like that actually. Makes it a point to go to war by either allowing you to attack your enemies or the gear they're hoarding that you're seeking to decay faster.

At the same time, it penalizes folks  who don't engage.

Bryton

• Zoner
« Reply #189 on: July 20, 2017, 11:44:29 PM »

Wtf Matt, I liked your post what happened?

Brafu

• Zoner
« Reply #190 on: September 17, 2017, 05:24:57 AM »
I haven't played Arctic in a few years and coming back to the forums to discover that PK has been removed was... well, shocking. I figured it was only a matter of time before something like that happened, but it's still a shock none the less.

I, personally, wouldn't want to play the MUD without PK being at least an option. Sure, I love the PvE aspect and really enjoyed a lot of the zones and how much time and effort went into them, but PK just adds that extra element that PvE can never give, namely the head to head competition against another player. But I have also known for a very long time now that PK had become very toxic to the game's health overall and mostly because certain groups of players inevitably decided to act like dicks and ruin other's fun just because they could.

Now, I haven't read many of the previous posts in this thread because I'm just not going to sit here and read 13 freaking pages. But, I do have an idea or two that might allow PK to be brought back in a more healthy manner.

Like someone else touched upon I think the main focus should be in making additions to the clan system that would allow clans (and hell, possibly unclanned individuals) to declare war on each other and to allow unrestricted pk (yet within the frame work of the old pk rules) between the two sides so that people can still vent their frustrations (or simply just to have a blast) at one another if they choose. It would eliminate the main toxic element of pk, namely killing those who really don't want to get involved, while still allowing those who wish to kill each other.

Sure, it's not exactly that simple since you need to take into consideration people looting stuff that isn't there's from corpses and whatnot, but that can be handled with some simple and straight forward flags that could flip on the pk switch and allow someone to be attacked for a limited time (or hell even for as long as they possess the item and for a short time after they don't).

I know it would remove one big element to the pk aspect of the game, namely being able to attack anyone at virtually any time, and that would indeed diminish pk to some extent. But at the end of the day this game should be fun for everyone and not just those who enjoy pk.

Honestly, I have been thinking about coming back to the game for a few weeks now since I miss playing with some friends and I just miss the game overall, but without pk I think it would feel more like a pointless endeavor to build my character only to ever just slaughter more NPC's and never be able to pit myself against another player.