Author Topic: Rising threat  (Read 6622 times)

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
Re: Rising threat
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2017, 08:23:56 AM »
RISE is a good clan full of legit people and players, who dont break any rules that most of this mud dont break

Sure now and then someone gets bored suggests to go stir a pot and most of the time it seems to be under control, even this wipe... when i was hit my gear was returned, johns gear was returned. 
If anything the pk this wipe although annoying most certainly because it disrupts important zoning for our crew, has not been malicious.

This is a very old game, and there are some very old vendettas, personally i wish people would just chill out a bit and stop with all that shit, but i dont make the rules, and its part of the game.

That being said, maybe your GOD clan idea isnt terrible, but you should only use your powers for good! not just to ruin rises day.
Those boys have every right the rest of us have to enjoy this game

In the overall history of rise, and i hope nobody gets mad at me for saying this, but back in the day yes these guys bapting did some serious damage wipes ago to a lot of friends of mine who no longer play this game.

The reformed crew before you today is a better  group with more skill and knowledge, personally i think they will benefit the mud as long as they can keep the need to bleed people under wraps. They take in new members and train them as well, its a good thing going for us.

So weighing im MY two cents, GOD clan as a last resort, why not!!! give the imms some fun too haha
But dont use your powers for evil unless you reallly really really really really really really have to please.

Daniel you have been making this game a lot better lately man, and rallying the troops to make it happen it seems with the immortals and we all love you for it man, but its a slippery slope between having fun, and doing damage. Hopefully this can be stabilized and order restored for these boys before we see any more quit.

Appreciate the thought process behind your actions man for what its worth, its really not fun getting jumped mid zone trying to load someone a spell that youve been checking for days, or losing sets that took you weeks to learn to load and spam. Hopefully your idea worked somewhat to teach how fun it is to get raped mercilessly without a chance in hell of winning a fight during an inconvenient time not of your choosing.

I dont dislike anyone on this mud really, a few people make it hard to get along with them, but lets avoid chasing ANYONE off the mud as a rule of thumb guys! Even the ones you dont like, why would you want to shrink the playerbase in any way? Foolish, selfish, not cool.

Willoe

• Guardian
  • Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Graveyard
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2017, 09:16:51 AM »
Gramm - You say that from a group of players that, no offense, offers no competition to RISE. They don't bother you because they know you will never attack them nor pop anything they want. If you do pop something they want they know they can just take it from you. From a competitive landscape RISE has targeted anyone who might be able to stand up to them. You look at WILD who are now gone, then CORE who are mostly gone. They wont even accept the fact that CORE(not including joebots) is gone but are now hunting those few that remain because they are affiliated with me.

In the olden days when there was war, it was fought until one side wins and then peace talks/terms are drawn up and people go their merry little ways. Sometimes the war would restart when both sides thought they were strong enough but for the most part peace maintains.

I don't know about WILD but I know last wipe when we were beat we tried to settle some peace. Our peace was laughed at, we got some shitty cease fires that were never honored, and ultimately we were forced to quit until RISE finally quit for the wipe.

It's funny to me that RISE don't see the irony in this attack. They were smashed by someone who they have no hope of fighting back against, similar to those who RISE targets.

Flame on.

octan

• Fodder
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2017, 09:31:28 AM »
Pkilling is legal, this is true. What RISE do is not pkilling - it's systematic extermination and alienation of entire groups of players. Why does RISE behave like this? I'm not entirely sure. Part of it is caused by your "We're the big dogs - this is our game" mentality. Part of it is caused by the fact that you have too many people in your playing group. Part of it is caused the fact that you continue to use bots even though you have larger numbers of player than any other group. Part of it is that your players seem to have way more time than most of our other players with familiar obligations. Maybe you're just dicks, I don't know.

When I started playing back in '97 during the third or 4th wipe pf Arctic, I remember distinctly this is what the Horde of Korg and Tarsis Shriners were doing.  Systematical exterminating and alienation of entire group of players is what they did back then.  I'd have to say though, people really were made of more sterner stuff that the players nowadays.  These days it was all about whining to your friend and let big brother help.  :)  Sorry if anyone got offended!

Gotten

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2017, 10:07:22 AM »
Why not, instead of making pk impossible, make it detrimental to the offending party? Why not try limited loot, 1 item per corpse or victor. This way you get rid of the set grabbing. Also whoever wins from the fight gets rank percentage loss and XP loss equivalent to a death , further removing incentive for PKing or ambushing; concurrently you could have the character who ripped not lose any XP and rank. In my opinion, this would make PK still a viable option but one with consequences.

octan

• Fodder
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2017, 10:09:12 AM »
Gramm - You say that from a group of players that, no offense, offers no competition to RISE. They don't bother you because they know you will never attack them nor pop anything they want. If you do pop something they want they know they can just take it from you. From a competitive landscape RISE has targeted anyone who might be able to stand up to them. You look at WILD who are now gone, then CORE who are mostly gone. They wont even accept the fact that CORE(not including joebots) is gone but are now hunting those few that remain because they are affiliated with me.

In the olden days when there was war, it was fought until one side wins and then peace talks/terms are drawn up and people go their merry little ways. Sometimes the war would restart when both sides thought they were strong enough but for the most part peace maintains.

I don't know about WILD but I know last wipe when we were beat we tried to settle some peace. Our peace was laughed at, we got some shitty cease fires that were never honored, and ultimately we were forced to quit until RISE finally quit for the wipe.

It's funny to me that RISE don't see the irony in this attack. They were smashed by someone who they have no hope of fighting back against, similar to those who RISE targets.

Flame on.

It is also ironic that last wipe when some RISE players were trying to come back to explore the mud when you also smashed them to the ground.  You did the exact same thing.  Just saying. :)

Jorquin

• Administrator
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2017, 10:19:59 AM »
When I started playing back in '97 during the third or 4th wipe pf Arctic, I remember distinctly this is what the Horde of Korg and Tarsis Shriners were doing.  Systematical exterminating and alienation of entire group of players is what they did back then.  I'd have to say though, people really were made of more sterner stuff that the players nowadays.  These days it was all about whining to your friend and let big brother help.  :)  Sorry if anyone got offended!

There were also hundreds upon hundreds of individual human players, many of whom were in their teens or at university who could play Arctic like it was a full time job.

Now our average player is 30-50 years old, has children and a full-time job. The landscape is not the same.

octan

• Fodder
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2017, 10:30:34 AM »

There were also hundreds upon hundreds of individual human players, many of whom were in their teens or at university who could play Arctic like it was a full time job.

Now our average player is 30-50 years old, has children and a full-time job. The landscape is not the same.

It is true, but if you can manage to pop a dragon orb, an onyx shield and other choice gear, thats just asking for trouble.  As someone told me thru skype with the exact words "Poor bapters rise gonna smash them lol"   

Willoe

• Guardian
  • Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Graveyard
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2017, 10:31:22 AM »
OC - Pretty sure it was a pretty epic battle that lasted like 5 minutes that both sides enjoyed, and I returned their gear and told them so long as they don't pk against CORE we won't bother them...don't try to spin it into something it wasn't, that's not like you.

Jorake

• Zoner
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2017, 10:37:21 AM »
2017-07-02 22:27:50 Matthis killed Trinity.
2017-07-02 23:18:50 Mondo killed Kardoma.
--locki died for recalling kardoma, kardoma fought a 1v1 - issue solved

Kardoma fought a 1 v 1 because you guys were targeting me over some kinda "we dont like you" bullshit. So it was fight 1 v 1 or wait for you to pick me off. My gear was returned though. But it was still very much a walk the plank or be hunted moment.

octan

• Fodder
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2017, 10:48:51 AM »
OC - Pretty sure it was a pretty epic battle that lasted like 5 minutes that both sides enjoyed, and I returned their gear and told them so long as they don't pk against CORE we won't bother them...don't try to spin it into something it wasn't, that's not like you.

Well I forgot about that, true though you did return gear! Sorry I'm getting old!

Ezio

• Fodder
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2017, 11:29:35 AM »
Overly dramatic pussies, man.

Sorry, I don't have a way with words, those are literally my thoughts.

Kir

• Zoner
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2017, 11:33:56 AM »
I don't know much about the drama this wipe, but I do know that, as a member of WILD, almost all WILD players quit because of RISE.

1. We'd zone hard at the beginning of the wipe.
2. We'd eventually get gear that RISE wanted.
3. RISE would eventually attack us for said gear. One wipe we tried to preemptively attack as I recall.
4. RISE would now keep us locked out of the game with our known characters by relentlessly logging superior numbers (most of the time we could get 5-7 people at most on) so forced us into playing our unknown characters.
5. Eventually RISE would break some rule and get kicked off the site and we could play or they would get bored and quit. At this point we could either start zoning again or most of us had already quit.

This happened at least 6 wipes in a row if not more.

There was a wipe where we teamed up, I think it was with NOW clan, and fought back. We mass-ripped RISE three times in a row only to have some sort of mysterious bug that rebooted the mud immediately after the battle occur.

I also thought it was funny that WILD was accused of cheating. "WILD you used your imms to solve Sleet zone! Cheaters!!" No, actually Yankton, Allan, and I think Geo spent hundreds of hours working on solving that zone legit.

I had friends in WILD that I never get to chat with anymore. It's disappointing to me. There is still lots we'd like to figure out, especially now that there are some new zones in the game.

Lol you are completely delusional. Wild quit because when the server moved, Yank and Nate lost their port access. When you cheated, you still got dominated... when you couldn't cheat it was back to brogs. Also, Wild did beat us in our FIRST wipe as rise in a few battles when there was about 4-8 of us playing, and you still ended up getting dominated that wipe.

And if you were actually a real wild and not some fodder, you would know that Yankton couldn't solve his way out of kobolds. He had all the information prior to going into sleet and still had to spent hundreds of hours to work out how to win the fights lol.

P.S. the reason the mud foomed that wipe during pk is because hoss was actively trying to bapt with the dragon orb when a player had it, causing the mud to foom when the player died with the orb
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 11:37:58 AM by Kir »

blackmagus

• Zoner
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2017, 11:53:57 AM »
This is more of a discussion point that anything else at this stage - please weigh in, I'm looking for input from others.

Every wipe we see the same thing happen. The single largest playing group goes "full nerd-mode", plays non stop for weeks on end until they are super powerful by comparison to everyone else, then begins to get bored. As they get bored they begin to pick wings off flies - killing others for various reasons (which are usually bullshit) in order to amuse themselves. This leads to lots of people quitting, then they themselves quit once either they go so far that an immortal intervenes, or they just get bored altogether.

I want to break the cycle. I've been considering what to do - simply having conversations and asking them not to be jerks has no impact. I've tried this on several occasions over the last two wipes - they do not listen. Anyone have any ideas for how I could handle it?

Some of the things that came to mind are:
  • Give a few level 36/37's cheat characters in GOD clan with the sole purpose of helping the oppressed fight back against tyranny.
  • Give some tools to the people who RISE murder to help them fight back (I don't like this option, it's unfair on other neutral parties).

I'm not sure how to deal with this, but it's an issue which needs to be addressed. Post your thoughts please!

I think it's about time that the admins of the game did something about this problem and I applaud either solution.

The winner take all mentality was first championed by mavlad and through him his clan wiped out anyone and everyone who stood in their way. Once he ran off, the game settled down and clans like Myth and Core had an opportunity to really explore the game, gear up and have a great time. Was it like the early days of the MUD with the Knights and early Shriners? No, that time is past. But we entered a second golden era with new content and changes we all worked with.

Then the era of trash mages came along and it got so bad that caster level gear was introduced, which absolutely destroyed this class. It partially solved that problem, but in the end RISE came along with their druids and bashers and absolutely nothing changed.

Here we are several years later and the actual problem is finally being addressed; the scorched earth policy of certain players that need to be stopped. Abyss them, delete them, send GOD level characters into their fights.. whatever, but show them what it's like to not be able to play the game they supposedly love to the point of wanting no one else to play.

Every time they cry that someone is cheating, that there is unfair advantage it is because they lost a fight. DO NOT BACK DOWN.

newbie123321

• Fodder
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2017, 12:38:22 PM »
Ilya you just want people to not play so you can play and get all the good gear and kill myth and people who are alone. You killed a guy for gormskun armbands, you are worse than Rise. You try to say they are assholes then do the same thing. Your worse because you are a hypocrite who is just bad a PK. You are good are loading eq and that is about it guess what anyone can load eq in this game when they have walkthroughs and when they are playing by themselves. Have fun with that.

Charlie

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2017, 12:40:53 PM »
For the past at least twenty years there have been clans going out of their way to keep enemies from popping their shinies and killing anyone having said shinies, this is not something new, nor is it based before people had kids...
I know quite a few bloodthirsty people who have kids and jobs and don't get to play 20 hours a day, so that argument is just... nonsense.

There is however a much larger player base focused on just zoning/exploring and having fun with friends now, that don't really wanna participate in the mass-slaughter and endless hours planning/executing ambushes and wars.

If Arctic mud is really going towards a non-pk game, could I suggest removing limits on items and make them all % load based, better items having lower percentages, that way gear wouldn't be more than a question of x number of runs of a zone before you have the equipment You want.

Not doing that would just be dancing around the real issue which is some people want their equipment, best gear available.
Only problem with this is the whole thing that makes Arctic stand out from any other MMO available in the more graphical world is the fact that the game can be ruthless.
Dying to other players and loosing all your gear, hitting a dt and knowing that this shit might end up in other peoples hands, decaying that super item just before you have to log off, all the things that make this game so insanely bapting frustrating is also what makes it stand out from other games and makes it great.

The fact that there are super items that are limit one is something that make them desirable, makes it worth spending time getting it, and the fact that You can loose it in so many ways is what keeps it fresh and interesting.

So what about finding out what people actually want this game to be?, it won't be no "limit one" items non-pk game, that much I can guarantee You, people WILL find new interesting ways of getting people dead to loot their shit if they can't damage them enough with characters in the game because of super player vs player damage reduction.

Anyways, just my five cents of ranting.