Author Topic: Cleric help!  (Read 1119 times)

gnua

• Zone Leader
Re: Cleric help!
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2017, 09:00:34 AM »
I guess it just depends on what you consider exciting.  Is playing a 20 dam basher exciting?  Assist, punch, bash.  bash, kick.  punch, kick, assault, bash.

I get it though - clerics are definitely boring.  I think people want some kind of better offensive skill/spell that makes them more useful in zoning, etc.  Like I said previously, making a cool new spell and calling it wave of terror or holy word that would make the caster feel like they are participating in the offensive zoning process would be cool.

How about giving them zombify and destroy undead?  or legendary turn allows you to turn non-undead creatures (with an appropriate penalty)

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2017, 10:06:07 AM »
I guess it just depends on what you consider exciting.  Is playing a 20 dam basher exciting?  Assist, punch, bash.  bash, kick.  punch, kick, assault, bash.

I get it though - clerics are definitely boring.  I think people want some kind of better offensive skill/spell that makes them more useful in zoning, etc.  Like I said previously, making a cool new spell and calling it wave of terror or holy word that would make the caster feel like they are participating in the offensive zoning process would be cool.

How about giving them zombify and destroy undead?  or legendary turn allows you to turn non-undead creatures (with an appropriate penalty)

That's what holy word is for

el conquistador

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2017, 03:28:50 PM »
the way groups move these days even if you have fun spells you shouldnt cast them.  because if you have to stop to mem heals you are slowing everyone down.  cleric battle skills would be so much better.

Heo

Cleric Revamp?
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2017, 08:10:33 AM »
I just wanted to add my 2 cents on this.

I've been playing healers my entire time on arctic - I like them because they're so integral to the group, and in big fights healing can be an adrenaline rush that requires some decent client customization.

However, having just come back this wipe, I'm a little disappointed.  With shamans and druid healing cloud, most of the time clerics are completely unnecessary.  In quite a few high level zones I'll never cast a heal, including mobs like Soth etc. 

It's because with shamans and druids, they both do a better job than clerics at healing.  Generally clerics are healing at bad or vbad, but with regenerate, it just makes more sense to keep tanks at v.good/perfect rather than rolling the dice and have healer get stunned when tank at V Bad or have a high damage spec from mob or whatnot. 

Honestly, most of the time I have a movie or something on my second monitor when healing zones because it's pretty boring.  Quite often a healer will just never cast heal because they don't need to.   Shamans even have cure blind.

I get it, shamans are a relatively new class, and you want to see them used - but that's why everyone has a shaman.  I would love to find a healer that disagrees with me on this, because I'd guess they're either just lying or know something I don't know.  And yes, I know that legend clerics have animate and a few other spells that can make them useful, but that's not really what they're supposed to be - just a class that controls a bunch of charmies. 

To me, clerics need to be revamped or shamans/druids nerfed slightly.  I've never been one to whine about a class not being powerful enough, but go ahead and watch what most clerics do in groups with a shaman/druid - it's boring as hell. 

The cleric should be constantly casting defensive measures that buff the group, remove negative effects, and obviously heal.  This is no longer necessary with shamans having healing wave/regenerate, both of which are generally used far more than heal/healing mist.  Druids have healing cloud which is possibly even a more fantastic group heal.  Clerics can't heal group well, aren't as useful for main, and others have gust too.

Clerics have become a class that is simply not needed anymore for the most part because other classes have their spells and can do their job better. 

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2017, 06:42:24 PM »
Legend Harm! has a chance to paralyze/fear/silence/or feeble an enemy!

would be pretty sweet.

Jorake

• Zoner
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2017, 05:53:06 AM »
I kind of agree. But nerfing one class to make another viable isn't the answer. Just make clerics more appealing. Also, clerics get a mini regen from heal at legend. They mass crit at legend. They have way better mid tier gear options. I can make a 17heal evil cleric without much effort. They darkness. Mass blind. Mass fear. So they do have a kinda niche. They are just stupidly boring to play. I would love to see them have an option for some different roles.

Heo

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2017, 11:33:53 AM »
Right, but back in the day before legend healing cloud and shamans they were at least useful.

Now you can be the primary healer in a zone and not cast a single spell, be complete deadweight.  Before shamans and legend healing cloud, at least they had a job.  Now it seems like shamans are basically just more useful clerics, with increased offensive ability and clerics are somewhat useless.  Even on mobs like Suun, Soth, Amity, a lot of times you don't even need to cast heal.

I personally don't think shamans should be able to cure blind anyone but themselves, possibly same for regenerate. 

Go ahead and snoop a cleric sometimes, they literally do nothing in a zone.  I realize they're not an offensive class, but they can't even dispel gate charmies anymore.  It just makes no sense to me that every single other class is furiously typing in battles and clerics and doing nothing except for big fights, which are fun, but few and far between. 

Jorake

• Zoner
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2017, 11:56:54 AM »
Clerics are 100% needed before shaman legend. And if you made shaman regen self only.. who the hell would make one?

Like i said; my nigga Bo: the answer isn't in nerfing one class to make another one fun. The answer is in updating that class.

Clerics can mass free action. Mass cure. Big animates. Summon circle is op. A shaman can't heal a tank from -5 hp to 820 with one spell.

My biggest complaint about clerics is that they are just so damn boring. Hell I don't even need to type group anymore when I play a cleric. I can sit and count damage vs target and calculate how much hp the target has and heal like that. (700 hp warrior dual wielding just took 4oblits from this mob. He's good for one more round. Make just took 3oblits at 300hp. Likely has around 120-140 left.  Crit the mage!)

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2017, 04:00:04 PM »
give both clerics and druids rankable charmies similar to mages! that would be nifty!

gnua

• Zone Leader
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2017, 12:55:24 AM »
Now you can be the primary healer in a zone and not cast a single spell, be complete deadweight.  Before shamans and legend healing cloud, at least they had a job... It just makes no sense to me that every single other class is furiously typing in battles and clerics and doing nothing except for big fights, which are fun, but few and far between.

Yeah, the biggest problem is that unless the fight is "big", the cleric has absolutely nothing to do.  Some sort of battle skill that makes sitting people stand or disengages targets from battle or something would at least give them something to do during "little" fights like bmobs.

Heo

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2017, 01:46:02 PM »
That would be helpful, some spell or skill like "Lift" that reduces lag or stands a bashed person or something like that.

Because battle mobs without that is just so insanely dull.  Or allow clerics to target magic dispels so they can cast 'dispel magic stoneskin' MOB.  That would give us wayyy more to do.  Otherwise you're literally doing nothing unless you're fighting a huge dragon, and +heals are not nearly as important.

Before shamans and heal cloud druids there were people who said clerics were weak but I would have disagreed.  But now they just feel really worthless.  Maybe give them more ways to buff a group, similar to paladin?  Casting 2 spells an hour is enough to make anyone quit that char.

Jorake

• Zoner
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2017, 05:16:44 AM »
Make a warrior! I'll load you dams😉