Author Topic: Skill and spell transparency  (Read 452 times)

kholos

Skill and spell transparency
« on: March 23, 2017, 04:24:11 PM »
Would really appreciate to understand how the skill/spells actually work. This should be included in the help files

For instance: Dk has 3 stances, skills and spells do different things in these stances, but what exactly is unknown and can never be fully known.

The way some skills train are not accurate, for instance Field Medic is not as simple as spamming cures in combat.

Been helping some newbies level lately, and the amount of answers I have for things (after 20years of playing) is nominal. That one makes you hit harder, that one makes you take less damage. It would be nice if we were privy to better answers.

Why is all of this so hidden from the players?

tavi

Re: Skill and spell transparency
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 03:04:09 PM »
I think this is a great post, and second the motion.

I have had a very frustrating time skilling tavi, my thief.

Someone recommended bats, i spend hours in bats.hours. i would suppose I failed sneak maybe 4/5 of the time at excellent on those stupid bats. it's training up though. question, is sneak checked against each creature now?

Steal and plant are easy peasy, training up fine.

Case. this has been a nightmare so far. not a single enlighten past the free ones at poor. i've cased different creatures, i've loaded them up with goodies, i've been invisibile, not invisibile, hiding, not hiding. this is nuts.

o/t: Third weapon skill to superb is just a kick in the balls. i suppose brew/scribe is worse, but thief has the most skills of any class. and we have sneak and hide.

el conquistador

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 10:14:04 PM »
it seems that you can only train case 1 time per tick at above poor.  try spamming it until you get a success then wait until the next tick to try again.

i agree with the OP.  the number of secrets in this game is crazy.  would it be too much powerful knowledge to reveal the strength bonus's or for me to be able to understand the difference between saving_spell by -1 and spell saves mod by 1? (i have no idea).

i kind of wanted to buy mindshield this wipe but i finally decided it was too expensive when all i know about it is that it could possibly shield my mind in some way.

tavi

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 08:07:26 AM »
spell saves mod is penetration, saving spell -1 is personal protection.

So Mage A has spell saves mod 3 and saving spell -5
Mage B has spell saves mod 1 and saving spell -3

Mage A casts hold monster on Mage B. Normally Mage B enjoys a - 3 bonus to his saves, but that's gone because of mage a's spell save mod.

Don't actually know if its one to one.

One enlighten a minute is hot bapting horseshit. bapting arbritray hidden limits has given this mud it's highly superstitous nature. How many people still mem and eat food and drink water and rub their belly three times before studying a spell?

It might actually be one chance at an enlighten a minute? If it is limited, it needs to have some cooldown notification or something.

I realize there are legendary thieves, so it's possible, but it shouldn't be so freaking obtuse. I steal from people, i get better at stealing, i plant, i get better at planting, i stab them in kidney, i get better at stabbing in kidney. I bapting surreptitiously look at someone i get better at bapting surreptitiously looking at someone. doesn't matter how many times i've done it in the current hour. It has a freaking success lag is the hilarious thing. No way you could ever get more than one enlighten a minute anyways.

bapt me i bet it's learn on true success only. shit.

Chisul

• Immortal
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Pax
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 07:09:47 PM »
Try casing very high level mobs with lots of inventory. There are usually a high number of these types of mobs in every major city. PM me if this isn't clear enough.

Matt

tavi

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 10:47:42 AM »
It's working, i got good advice here and some people on the game helped me figure it out. Thank you.

Kam

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 07:06:32 PM »
The real magic of Arctic is in the interpersonal relationships that are pretty much a requirement for becoming great and learning more.

Community. We bring people together!

gnua

• Zone Leader
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 07:17:23 PM »
it seems that you can only train case 1 time per tick at above poor.  try spamming it until you get a success then wait until the next tick to try again.

i agree with the OP.  the number of secrets in this game is crazy.  would it be too much powerful knowledge to reveal the strength bonus's or for me to be able to understand the difference between saving_spell by -1 and spell saves mod by 1? (i have no idea).

i kind of wanted to buy mindshield this wipe but i finally decided it was too expensive when all i know about it is that it could possibly shield my mind in some way.

it's really good on spellcasters, especially important ones like healers and shamen

kholos

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 09:54:57 PM »
In an attempt to stay on topic, and not continue as a post for how to train skills I submit this

Conversation the other day

3d6 3/3 prime
2d7 2/2 offy

Oh primary is 6-21 damage. No 3dam applied on every dice roll is 9-21 damage. But 2 damage from offy so that adds to primary damage...

I'm not looking for answers, please don't offer me any. I too have many answers to many questions others have. The issue is that nobody is really certain of anything. I have played this game a long time and know the gist of how it works, but not the specifics. 10backstab mod is really good! but what does it mean, aside from stabbing harder.

I understand the title of the post is skill and spell transparency, but the issue is really with not understanding how to game works.  I know that high level immortals can see exact effects of skills/spells or what have you, and sometimes how they train. I'm simply asking for this to be revealed, and not just for personal gain as I probably know more than most, but because the way things are currently is infuriating for everyone and especially for the less addicted type.

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 10:31:54 AM »
The argument has always been "this black-box mentality is what makes this game challenging and great."  Unfortunately, this is unmitigated horseshit.  Every skilled player I know either has a.  Been an imm, or b.  Gotten significant zone/skill/training info from an imm at 1 to 2 degrees of seperation. 

So, since the information spreads anyway, but in a biased and asymmetrical manner, let's even the playong field.   More info in help files about training and function.  Finally bapting get rid of nolore completely.  I am fine with hidden atats, but have some self awareness on where all your nifty secret information actually came from, folks.