Author Topic: Parry help  (Read 895 times)

Rokoe

Parry help
« on: February 18, 2017, 04:42:28 PM »
I've been attempting to skill up parry for the last few hours and I've yet to get above awful. Any help?

Rednax

Re: Parry help
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 05:54:48 PM »
It's one of those skills that's a nightmare to train. I can't remember if weapon skills affect parry, but you might want to try using a weapon that you're skilled with.

Have you grabbed any int/wis/learn from the rank merchant?

As for places to train: Vingaard guards are great for both parry and disarm. If you know where the marlin appears (east of dragon's point) that's a great place to skill it up as well.

gulca

• Zone Leader
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 12:59:56 AM »
Spamming parry every round would help skilling from awful to poor.

As I understand, parry looks at Dex and skill to have a chance of rolling for success parry. Failing you see a message like you fail to parry your opponent. Time to spam parry right after this message.

Weapon skill you use for parrying determines whether you successfully parry or not. If successful, you get 0 damage. If unsuccessful, you get hit. This does not mean you lose parry mode.

Once you are in parry mode, it will keep on trying to auto parry until you lose the message. This means you don't need to send a parry command and it will still try to roll for success.

At awful skill though, successful parry usually last only a round. Hence you should just spam parry until the mob dies and move onto next mob

kholos

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 04:29:35 PM »
To train parry, parry once. If you fail, parry again. If you get a message saying you attempt to parry, type nothing (very tempermental skill).

Once parrying, it will attempt to continue, let it continue until it says you stop parrying. Weapon skills matter, so use a trained weapon. Also, + parry gear is helpful to start.

Getting past awful is hard, once its at poor it picks up speed.

Hoodoo

• Zoner
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 01:10:06 AM »
Up to fair/good or so, my kender's wanderlust usually guided him to hunt dinosaurs.. big ones. Afterwards, poking guards in Vingaard is hilarious.

Oligo

• Immortal
  • Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Dunmir
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 08:19:47 PM »
I've been attempting to skill up parry for the last few hours and I've yet to get above awful. Any help?

If you're running a copy of my scripts, type:
Code: [Select]
parryon

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 01:49:27 AM »
My suggestion for players new to warriors is to stock up on dex and +parry until the skill is below average, then ditch all parry eq until after you have superb'd the skill. Parry is hard to start because it only trains on success, which is difficult at low level.  Weapons skill impacts success as well - if you are double-wielding make sure you are skilled in your offhand weapon. You really won't be successful until weapon skill is below average.

The most important advice about parry is to TRAIN IT EARLY.  As in level 10-20 train it and disarm exclusively, while warriors are still maining fights. Once you hit 25+ it trains slowly because warriors rarely main and everyone just wants you to bash. Also it seems to train faster when the mob is higher level.