Author Topic: Newbie/Oldbie  (Read 7735 times)

Sigmar

Newbie/Oldbie
« on: August 14, 2012, 08:00:48 PM »
Hello all....  I actually used to play this MUD quite a bit about 7-8 years ago.  It's really ironic that I decided to give it another whirl the day before an entire wipe was performed.  I wish that I remembered the game better, but it's been a long time, and my character was only about 15th level or so, so there was a lot of the game I never got to see. 

I have to admit that the Pkilling aspect of the game bugs me a bit.  I gave the game a trial run yesterday to put together some maps to help me re-visualize how everything was put together.  I managed to gets fairly complete maps (graph paper - old school.  I'm old, what can I say?  LOL) of Solace, the big tree in the park, and the area under the dump.  However, about 5 minutes into the game, someone sauntered up to me in town and hacked me down.  Had this been my first go, I probably wouldn't have returned, thinking that the game abandoned any attempt at being at least a mild attempt at a decent RP alternative to WoW or D&D online, but I read up and knew that the game was about to be wiped, and that players would likely be going "crazy".  All's good. 

In all honestly however, I think that a significant penalty for PKing characters significantly weaker than your own character would be a good idea (unless its defending yourself, of course).  This might help detract players from randomly killing PC's simply because they are bored.  Even in the best of Fantasy fiction, villains (or heros, for that matter) rarely kill others just for the heck of it.  I think it would help create a more tangible fantasy world where characters act more "in character", and actually consider their actions before committing.  Again, I think the concept of having a vendetta against other characters is a great idea, and adds a lot to the game, but hunting and killing off weak characters at random just seems silly and not at all in line with the fictitious world that this game is loosely based upon.  Basically, perhaps an XP penalty, akin the the one for getting killed, might detract players from behaving randomly and killing PC's to pass the time.  Yes, it's a cold cruel world out there and players should be able to act as they please, but having some consequences for actions would add a little "caution" before attacking at random (which most high level-low vs. level attacks are).  Alternatively, introducing "bounty hunters" of some kind, that become active when characters PK regularly, might be a good idea.  These would be incredibly tough mobs that are aware of characters that kill other PC's (even if there are no witnesses, characters "come back to life" after being killed and so can tell their tale, and hunting killers are what fantasy bounty hunters are all about!).  This add's a whole new element to the game, where the "hunters" have to worry about being ambushed by seeking MOBs while they are resting or perhaps even in the middle of a combat!

In a nutshell, I think the game is great, but I also love when characters behave at least somewhat "normal", treating the game more like a real world and not a shoot 'em up free for all.  PKilling should be a big deal (like the real world, where murderers are always watching their back and the authorities could arrive at any time), and not necessarily rely on other PC's to "get revenge".  Keep in mind, of course, it's been years since I played this game, so perhaps PKillers DO have a lot to worry about, even after MOBs have "cooled off", but I'm guessing it's all forgotten after a certain period of time.  People who like the action of hunting should also appreciate lots of attacks on themself.

Anyways, I'm ranting.  It's a great game, and I look forward to logging back in to continue exploring the game world.  I just hope this post doesn't bring down the wrath of avid PKillers, looking to slap down the new guy.  LOL! 

Az

Re: Newbie/Oldbie
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 08:58:43 AM »
I agree, this game totally needs a bounty system...

I doubt the wanted board/system works the way it should these days, I recall it working differently in the past.

Putting more pressure on pkillers in my opinion would be fun for everyone involved.

Dyl

• Zoner
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 02:23:00 PM »
The last day(s) of a wipe are always a free for all.  You have to expect this to happen.  If you logged in today you might have a much better experience.

Malthros

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 06:22:13 PM »
Why must a wipe happen with Avengers getting added to DFO tomorrow.  There's only so many hours in a day. :(

Oligo

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 11:44:54 PM »
  I managed to gets fairly complete maps (graph paper - old school.  I'm old, what can I say?  LOL) of Solace, the big tree in the park, and the area under the dump. 

For maps, consider the official maps that already exist of all the major cities including Solace.

http://arcticmud.org/maps.php