Author Topic: Stun and nightmare  (Read 5657 times)

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zoner
Re: Stun and nightmare
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2016, 09:18:28 AM »
Correct me if wrong, but free actions does not equal immune stun afaik?

Woops guess the case is still open.

gnua

• Zone Leader
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2016, 09:34:24 AM »
Channeled, must be engaged, damage has a chance to break it, target limit of 3 (random), same chance of working.

This gives it a crippling in large scale pvp, keeps it viable in small scale pvp, keeps it viable in pve.

All great suggestions. My favorite of them is the 'must be engaged' requirement.  Dk gaze impair, and barbarian assail require engaged and severely nerf its pk power vs people who do not want to fight while remaining viable in pve. 

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2016, 09:55:13 AM »
I am pretty sure DK gaze will paralyze as long as the target is in combat regardless if the DK is in combat or not.

Also DK gaze will charm things that are not in combat,  dks rule

Jorake

• Zoner
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2016, 10:58:05 AM »
I actually like the 3man cap on stun. Group size is 8, so you can no longer shut down a whole group.

I also agree with the channeling. If you land it on a good target then you can't do shut ese after. After 3 rounds a check could be made to see if you come out of it or it last for a max of 2 rounds longer.

Loretta

• Fodder
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2016, 02:12:19 PM »
I dont understand why weaklings whine about nightmare/pws power. Its the only chance for you to even battlefield. How else are you going to beat 5-8 oblit tanks and nobash lim damage healers?

raf

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2016, 08:49:52 PM »
I think there are a lot of things that are way overpowered on mages that should not exist in the game as it is, the biggest is PWS. And this is coming from someone who has played with the spell and had the buffest mages in several eras.

But this is just one issue with mages, there are others such as tether which is just wrong on so many levels as relocate on it's own is a seriously unbalanced spell, let alone with a basher attached to you.

Even so, I'm not advocating changing any of these because frankly it won't help the PK situation one bit. There are too many issues that one or two changes won't have any noticeable effect on the overall state of legendary characters.

I think short of gutting the whole legendary system, the best solution is still the flat damage reduction Player vs. Player. But it has to be drastic, 10% isn't going to cut it. Effectively you need to triple or quadruple the survivability of characters in PvP so it counters the overpowered state of legendary characters with such spells and abilities.

Jorake

• Zoner
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2016, 05:37:18 AM »
We have any updates as to what is going to happen with stun/nightmare?

remi

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2016, 03:05:48 PM »
In a 8v8 fight if even 1 or 2 people are stunned in one group the fight is likely over with the spell in it's current state.

As someone else in a previous post recommended...

1) Lower the stun on pcs to 2 rounds and on a cast has a solid chance to land on average 2 members of an 8 man group. 
or
2) Lower stun on pcs to 3 rounds and on a cast has a solid chance to land on avergage ~1 member of an 8 man group

In any 8v8 fight --- if you take 1-2 members of that group out of play for 3 rounds you would have a huge advantage over that team.  (many pc's can be 1 or 2 rounded easily).  If the mage gets off 3 or 4 stuns in that fight and lands 3-6 total stuns thats MORE than enough to land to win a battle.

The spell shouldn't be "I win" button that you click or trigger 3 casts walk away from the keyboard and come back to split loot.

Episte

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2016, 09:04:33 PM »
Only trump can fix stun. The rest is  nightmare

http://fark.com/9338840/105409180
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 09:10:02 PM by Episte »

Jorquin

• Administrator
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2016, 04:34:18 AM »
No updates. Don't expect any changes in the immediate future. I have no intention of short changing people who worked hard to get OP spells. Expect changes late wipe, whenever that is (not sure when that is).

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2016, 05:26:45 AM »
Don't short change them just inflate their money...............................

Alecto

• Immortal
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Dargaard Valley
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2016, 08:09:51 PM »
Was that in response to Brandon?  Seems a little too "on the nose..."

Thymorical

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Abyss
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2017, 09:19:48 PM »
Druid veil of ice buff is a good idea.. legendary veil of ice..

Gramm

• Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Suckland.
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2017, 11:34:24 PM »
o lords of arctic we ask thee for a direct saves vs stun added to the game, to which end us lesser focused folk might actually fight dragons and be able to withstand the evil elite stunning mages of this game, we also heckle thee for nightmare to begin automatically releasing us after 4 battle rounds regardless of being in combat or not. do this and we will enjoy the fruits of your grey hair growing codewriting labours once again... or at least find a new reason to cry next "patch"

also having 2 less people in your group to save vs those stuns this wipe and in turn save your asses, seriously hurts. it makes them THATTT much buffer on top of them already being THAT much buffer...

or or or you could just make stun a guild spell too for immortal shits and giggles ?

in any event 100% agree needs a debuffing. there are so many different angles to consider when you alter something like this, but absolutely wont hurt to make stun land way less often and for nightmare to have same duration in and out of combat as well.

adding saves vs stun element to the game or attaching stun to saves vs spell gear (MOBS TOO) would be pretty damned cool. and open up some new fun to those of us that cant get a solid 8man group to kill some more fun dragon mobs or higher end zones also.

im not saying Its impossible, theres plenty of people on this mud that know how to autobot a healer from their phone or sky scout, or paladin, or druid even. but to literally get 8 PEOPLE together and do those really fun fights, is not always easy so i understand why folks do it, but personally as someone who likes to have 8 PEOPLE in the group and see what we can get done, stun is way too angry on dragons too lately. has been for full wipe + this wipe now. area disables in general are pretty dirty.... blastwave, stun, nightmare, even tent..  all of these spells can ruin your day on their own. but the stuns have been a bit much.

Its nice that people want a constant challenge so i understand why dragons received this angry stun buff to give them that once again, but maybe its time for those players to start submitting zone creation ideas, or help create those challenges for their friends even, this is one of those unique game environments where so many of you guys are brilliant at writing code and capable of creating zones that love this game, actually have the chance to contribute like that if you can find the time. maybe its just pipe dreams but there are so many
untold d and d stories... i get that a lot of this is pre cataclysm stuff, but wouldnt it be neat to maybe add POST catacalysmic side story zones in there?
at the very least im sure someone can fix whatever that zone was near pax thats been under construction for like how many wipes now? or ogreshield...  the current immortals have so much on their plate i wish i knew how to write code because i obviously love to sit and ponder about pointless shit that might be amusing if anyone has actually read this post all the way to this point here : )

im rambling again.. tldr

or do if your stoned and bored, but to make this game balanced is a never ending battle, no matter what you do its going to not be 100% im not sure what your creation staff looks like, but i picture jorquin kam adepali keila and hoss dealing with all of our whining and trying to constantly make things right, and i hope im way off with my count lol because only 5 would be honestly rough but maybe its the new material that keeps us coming back. some will claim its the pk, but most of us know thats horseshit, we would mostly all come back for the social aspect regardless of pk or new zones necessarily, its the ability to log onto a realtime dungeons and dragons real time game that keeps a lot of us coming back, im not sure how many of you other guys play dungeons and dragons in real life, probably mostly all too old for that shit now but i still do and for those of you that used to, you have to admit it was awesome at some point, this game is just THAT exactly anytime you feel like logging on. The playerkilling aspect of the game is fun and absolutely the adrenaline gets going, but its not what makes or breaks the game for everyone, not anymore anyways considering the inability to properly balance it.

the best part is that only a couple of suckers that play immortals are the dungeonmasters for like over 100 of us, thank you by the way.
it was great to see a few of the guardians and higher immortals playing their characters actively the last couple of wipes. You deserve to enjoy the game with the rest of us too.

You can pretty much do whatever you want to this game except maybe making it ridiculously hard pve and pvp at the same time and people will always keep coming back. that being said pk doesnt ruin the game, overpking ruins the game. removing pk from the game would NOT completely destroy the game, but it would certainly chase off 25%-50% at least of it indefinitly.  I think people are getting a lot better at self control overall with their urges to go on a rapetheentiremudspree but thats the easiest solution if you want to abolish all foolish talk about removing pk, or unbalanced destruction of clans... just control yourselves. Once you have killed a crew if you want a real fight, let them come after you before you go after them again, the blitzkrieg tactic of once a week raids on a demoralized crew that is struggling to log the same numbers as your crew is what happens every wipe no matter who is winning the wipe.

Self control will make it more exciting for all of you that love pk, and also prevent it from being an excessive problem for the rest of us. And for someone like me personally who is in a couple of d and d groups, i would have a much easier time convincing them to play some d and d online for practice if not "conversion: to arctic if it didnt get so toxic with the pk and witchhunts for enemies.

man i do apologize, that all makes sense to me, hope it does for someone else.  (im not sure if this post fully belongs in this thread by the end of it) lol but i think it relates to the game in general + stun/nightmare...hail santa
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 11:41:37 PM by Gramm »

Grimwar

Area Spells: Proposed change for balance and tactics
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2017, 12:28:56 PM »
How about if area spells worked differently, depending on if a target is specified and or not, and if the target is in combat or not?

If a target is specified, then the area spell will affect the target, the target's group/followers, AND (or chance of, or save vs?) anyone engaged in combat with the target (either attacking the target or being attacked by the target).

If a target is not specified, then the area spell will affect those not in the caster's group, AND (as above) those engaged in combat with those affected.

These changes could help tweak use of area spells (clearly still an advantage as a "first strike" but less advantageous for continual spamming) or, conversely, counter its use by engaging a caster's group early on.