Author Topic: Stun and nightmare  (Read 7279 times)

Amar

Re: Stun and nightmare
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2016, 06:17:54 AM »
Make it channeled like Tent.  Stunned people are only stunned as long as the caster channels.  Getting hit would have a good chance to end the spell.  That way a good PWS cast that hits many people could both be useful, and the other groups unaffected people could still respond by attempting to hit the caster to free their group members.

reed23

• Zone Leader
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2016, 07:06:35 AM »
Having stun in the game is a good thing.  It evens the playing field for all clans if u can just somehow get your hands on the book.  It sounds like there are multiple ways of getting stun this wipe via mob, quest, chaos.  I think having a couple classes designated as the "anti-mage" would be a better solution. 

Paladin - Have freedom not only free from stun/nightmare but make your group Imm-nightmare/stun for a few rounds.
Druid - Veil of ice be huge save vs stun/nightmare and make the legend druid imm-nightmare/stun, similar to the free action flag clerics get with legend free action rank.

Side tangent - druids guild is a very sad class atm.  The fact that healing cloud was nerfed because it was to OP is strange to me considering it healed 2 targets for 200ish per round, yet legend shamans can heal the ENTIRE group for 100-200 every round.  Put healing cloud back to normal, and buff veil of ice, and druids will get played again.

I also am in favor of making more saves vs. spell available via rank.

adepali

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2016, 07:37:57 AM »
My suggestions:

- PWS doesn't work if victim is higher than a specific HP %, similar to D&D (where it doesn't work beyond some HP, you need to damage high-level mobs first to make them vulnerable)

- Arcane shield (at least the white one) becomes room effect and also helps against non-damage area spells.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 08:13:32 AM by adepali »

blackmagus

• Fodder
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2016, 10:06:54 AM »
"Power word shield" for White Robe - area spell absorbtion, damage reduction or immunity for a set number of rounds
"Power word locate" for Red Robes - lists the current room name of every player online - lengthy cooldown attached
"Power word cripple" for Black Robes - save vs spell or have increased damage taken, minus concentration and fumble chance applied

I think the white robe and black robe spells compete nicely for their perspective rolls there, damage vs protection. However, given the red robes variety is a utility only spell whereas the other the have both PvE and PvP functionality.

I'd suggest Power Word Blast. The spell would be an area affect with an at level or cl - 5 damage affect similar to casting a single target damage spell. The secondary affect would be a knockdown without lag (useful against channels, dancing, stances, etc.,) and a save vs spell to apply a secondary bashmod effect that would make it easier for abilities such as bash, charge, etc., to make an afflicted player or mob sit on their ass again.

Rednax

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2016, 10:15:40 AM »
In its current form I just think stun lasts too long. For a spell that completely removes you from the fight, if half of your group mates get stunned in PK, it's basically already over.

Maybe making stun wear off much faster would be better. Perhaps make it so after a few rounds you're no longer disoriented, but have other negative effects on you for the following rounds. Additionally, you could make stun fail against already stunned targets.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 10:20:20 AM by Rednax »

Neal

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2016, 07:46:59 PM »
Everytime you save against a spell, you gain bonus save against the same spell.

40℅ gain on each consecutive saves. The immunity starts to wear out after 1d4 rounds from the last save at -20% per round.

So 5 mage casting the same spell in a couple of rounds will find it really inefficient.

Or another idea
Cast "power word stun" melee/caster/no argument

If you choose target, you get higher chance of landing on the chosen class type. The non chosen type is not affected.
With no argument, chance to land is reduced by 50℅ but lands on every one.

If I'm understanding this correctly it would be the same idea as diminishing returns most mmorgp games use. Ie if you get disabled, the next disable affect on you won't last full length so on and so on. Prevents chain stunning with classes that can target disable etc. And gives the target a fighting chance. So I like this idea but let's say you get stunned, then you get bonus saves against same spell for whatever duration you deem necessary.

Jorake

• Zoner
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2016, 12:40:18 PM »
I like the idea of stun not lasting as long. 3 rounds max is what it should be. That would be so perfect. Making veil of ice last longer would also be a great thing. I also liked the channeling idea.

Episte

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2016, 11:41:03 PM »
I like the idea of stun not lasting as long. 3 rounds max is what it should be. That would be so perfect. Making veil of ice last longer would also be a great thing. I also liked the channeling idea.

Okay, so after a long new york minute I'm semi functional on the computer side of interaction....I like your post sir.
I also seem to be making yet another crappy formatted post or potentially trollish post, however this one isn't aiming for humor and is trying to be helpful....

I'ld honestly give the feedback consider removing veil of ice.  Make iceskin (guild spell if i recall correctly) an optional legend rank.  Give iceskin (as legend rank purchase) half durability/duration of iceskin to all and make it AURA / divine.  You might need to actually quarter it but as I remember iceskin's duration is a bit long so maybe shave half the duration off iceskin's base off the top (prelegend), so that legend halving of it would be appropriate. 

In terms of nerfing stun, I'm of the sort that kinda expects it to be gone, yet will miss it even though I don't have it.  However veil of ice absolutely sucks (maybe not so much with 8-14 slots and autohaste and magical unicorns and ponies dancing atop a perfectly microwaved burrito)....  It's never memmed or casted when it would save lives, and when it is casted it's always a waste.  Even a fixed 1-2 tick duration on it would be better than the "This spell lasts 2-3 pulses or up to 8 seconds" current reality.

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2016, 06:00:48 AM »
Make legend druid iceskin immune stun,  that will in effect make druids counters to the mages.  druids tornado ftw!

Also bring healing cloud back to its former glory

But if you do that u better give healers something!

Tajs

• Favorite Zone: Dun mir
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2016, 07:01:22 AM »
I'll advocate removal of spell mod ranks/effects (maybe keep a few elite items) and replace them with spell damage done by 5%.

Why? I think spell mod is too powerful, because it both affects damage and disables, since a failed saves equals full damage (for most spells) vs half damage if saved. In that sense it seems more balanced to me, to deal higher damage, that's easier to save against than the actual save being hard to land. Also it would balance out the area disables to an extend making them easier to save against.

I like ideas of making veil of ice more viable, also maybe give legend free action a chance to remove stun? like cleanse.
Or if you want 3 different kind of "power word", an idea could be to make the white robe one somewhat akin to Freedom or even make them aligned like holy word?

corey

• Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Brogs
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2016, 02:59:59 PM »
Channeled, must be engaged, damage has a chance to break it, target limit of 3 (random), same chance of working.

This gives it a crippling in large scale pvp, keeps it viable in small scale pvp, keeps it viable in pve.

Jarrad

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Isle of Shadows
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2016, 03:40:41 PM »
I am confused by this whole anti stun thread. For the first wipe ever people can buy free action rank. If you are getting raped by stuns go and buy the counter rank...

Zozen

• Immortal
  • Zoner
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2016, 08:33:38 PM »
I guess that solves it. Case closed. Next thread.

Tajs

• Favorite Zone: Dun mir
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2016, 11:36:32 PM »
Correct me if wrong, but free actions does not equal immune stun afaik?

Charlie

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2016, 06:33:15 AM »
Also.... it appears to me the save vs spell doesn't really affect stun, or if it does it must be a serious flawed math equation that determines if you get stunned, wearing -8/-9 doesn't seem to really help vs stun compared to -0 or -1.

It all appears to be random, so are you sure the save vs spell in regards to power Word stun is working as intended?

This also in regards to Mobiles casting pws, it seems to hit way more often even from lower lvl mobs.