Poll

What percentage reduction should be applied to player vs player damage?

15%
16 (21.3%)
20%
6 (8%)
25%
7 (9.3%)
30%
6 (8%)
35%
40 (53.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Author Topic: PK Damage Reduction Poll  (Read 4784 times)

Jorquin

• Administrator
  • Zone Leader
  • Favorite Zone: Danger Zone
PK Damage Reduction Poll
« on: August 22, 2016, 05:05:20 AM »
Adepali has coded in an easily adjustable modifier on PK damage which allows us to modify all damage players deal to other players as a flat percentage (but will not affect hitting mobiles or vice versa). Big thanks go to him for making this happen on short notice!

I thought it would be fitting to ask our players on their opinion since this is a large scale change. Personally I'm leaning towards 25%, but I'd like to get your input.

Jorake

• Zoner
Re: PK Damage Reduction Poll
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 06:02:09 AM »
Does this affect saves? Is it the same 25% for spell damage too? Skills and such?

Jorquin

• Administrator
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 06:13:02 AM »
It's just a flat modifier applied to all damage dealt by players to other players. I'm unsure how this is any way confusing.

kmark101

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 06:24:55 AM »
Can we test this out as part of some chaos day this week?

Loretta

• Fodder
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 07:56:22 AM »
how about 0?

Kir

• Zoner
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 08:17:07 AM »
how about 0?

Agreed, 0 should be an option. I personally feel that if players dying to other players is a concern then maybe an HP raise is in order but over the past few years every skill or spell that did any damage was nerfed already including but not limited to:
Bash
Punch
Strike
Assail
Nightmare
Blastwave
Prism
Thunderbolt
Shards of arcana
Icestorm

Impossible pk makes mud boring, boring mud = dead mud. Its already impossible to find people with broken clair, broken hunt, broken temp path and teleport nerf... And if you are lucky enough to find somebody its going to be impossible to kill them?

I honestly believe its better to fix what is broken instead of changing game mechanics.. Like i said earlir, back when healing cloud was useful, pks lasted quite many rounds. So if we want it to be harder to pk, fix defensive spells like healing cloud and fix the HP nerf.

breiner

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 08:45:42 AM »
I voted 35% but I'm leaning more towards 50%.

Jorquin

• Administrator
  • Zone Leader
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 09:01:08 AM »
You guys seem to have some retarded belief I'm changing anything. Changing players hitpoints means we have to re-scale every single mob encounter to match, to make sure the world remains at a set difficulty.

By altering the total damage of absolutely every skill, spell, and melee hit by a set percentage when it hits another player we can completely solve the problem. Changing people's hit points upwards to match the damage of current skills creates an identical outcome, but involves about ten thousand times more work.

Edit: I'll add that this is a number which can be changed with one command input, and doesn't even require a reboot. Think of it like a volume dial.

lurker

• Fodder
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 09:01:48 AM »
10-15% maybe.

The problem isn't player damage in small scale combat, the problem is focused damage. I think a better solution could be some limitation or scaling value depend on the number of attackers. Obviously this would require a lot more backend work.

Like, if you ever play real D&D, there are limits to how many monsters can be in melee with one character. With a wide open area it's 8 of equal size, but if you can put your back to a wall or even better fight in a doorway it might only be possible for 2-4 enemies to fight you at once. This can not be modled perfectly in arctic since there is no grid, but an approximation could be done such as 1-2 attackers = no damage reduction, 3-4 = 20% reduction, 6-7 = 40% reduction, 8+ 60% reduction.

Kam

• Administrator
  • Fodder
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 09:07:16 AM »
Edit: I'll add that this is a number which can be changed with one command input, and doesn't even require a reboot. Think of it like a volume dial.

Adepali is a bapting mad scientist.

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 09:11:29 AM »
How about 10% reduction.

Oligo

• Immortal
  • Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Dunmir
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 09:16:09 AM »

Kir

• Zoner
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 09:51:42 AM »
You guys seem to have some retarded belief I'm changing anything. Changing players hitpoints means we have to re-scale every single mob encounter to match, to make sure the world remains at a set difficulty.

By altering the total damage of absolutely every skill, spell, and melee hit by a set percentage when it hits another player we can completely solve the problem. Changing people's hit points upwards to match the damage of current skills creates an identical outcome, but involves about ten thousand times more work.

My point is, what problem are you solving? There were 7 pk logs on sufs from last wipe, and half of them involved newbies or bots posting trash. Players being easily pked doesn't seem like the problem. My post was iterating how PK has already been substantially nerfed and then nerfed again and then nerfed into oblivion. If trash characters were going out and 1 shotting elitely geared characters, then I could see that there would be a problem but that is very obviously not happening.
     The most fun wipes I can remember are the wipes when shards of arcanna was doing 250-400 damage, or the next 2 wipes when nightmare was hitting for 150 (granted, when isabella was taking out groups with nightmares hitting for 350 it was a bit OP, but it still made the game that much more dynamic and scary which makes things interesting for the other players). There were 10v10 pk wars multiple times a week. People had tons of fun. Since the pk nerfs, wipes have gotten lamer and lamer (albeit also due to hoss's multiple other horrible changes). Low % loads on items in zones also makes wipes lamer because it takes 100 gaming hours to acquire a set and only 10 seconds to lose it. High percentage loads and more pk = more fun. If you die in pvp you log on the next day and pop a new set to fight with the following week. That is my ideal of fun on arctic. Not the "play it safe" strategy where people deeprent good eq because they are terrified of losing it.

Sialleba

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 12:13:57 PM »
Adding more barriers to PVP is the wrong direction. Voting 0%

puff

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 12:15:39 PM »
More PK = good.

If we HAD to do something, maybe something like combo damage scaling in fighting games. Would be really difficult to implement though.