Author Topic: [Serious] Does anyone even care about PK besides RISE?  (Read 3578 times)

Kadaj

• Zoner
[Serious] Does anyone even care about PK besides RISE?
« on: August 19, 2016, 05:12:18 PM »
I mean really, besides RISE and Joe's bot train and Dennis' poor excuse for pking, does anyone REALLY care about it? There's so much talk on the forums here about balancing pk and fixing this and that. Maybe it's because I'm older, maybe it's because if I didn't get paid at work to play Arctic, there's no way I would still play. I had the urge to go out and pk when I was younger, but now it just seems like a giant waste of time. RISE wants to fight everyone, I get it. Dennis and Joe like to kill newbs, I'm not sure I get that, but whatever. It's not like MYTH or WILD go out of their way to start wars and battle people. So this is an honest question to everyone, who really cares about PKing still?

I would really like to see the arena come to life. Perhaps both sides agree to X vs X with Y amount of items on the line. Winning side picks the items they chose and that's that. No more 'we won some giant battle and now the other clan has no gear at all and we won't let them load any to defend themselves' It would be a pretty sweet system where people would constantly be battling instead of ridiculous ambushes.

It would probably spark a more friendly rivalry rather than these hate wars that typically comes with wars(david).

Anyway, just my thought. School starts on Monday, a WoW expansion comes out the week after and I've been playing a lot of NW on the PS4. I won't have much time to play this coming wipe but the new staff is making some amazing changes!

Thymorical

• Fodder
  • Favorite Zone: Abyss
Re: [Serious] Does anyone even care about PK besides RISE?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 06:20:18 PM »
Its fun to pk newbs.. bst..

Patpat

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 07:21:46 PM »
So this is an honest question to everyone, who really cares about PKing still?

opt_pkoff

Ericj

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 07:54:47 PM »
There is no way to take away pk.  It is what it is, as long as limited gear is in the game there will be PK because someone has shiny X.  The game has toned down as player base has gotten older.  I think 95% of people are not cut-throat and reasonable. 

I think RISE the last two wipes have been reasonable compared to wipes past.   Hope to see lots of people/clans out, player base is excited.  Great job immortal staff.

monty

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 09:05:57 PM »
PK was the only thing that kept the game even remotely fun after a while when I played.

Steamrolling most of the game over and over just to repop items is boring compared to fighting another group of people who can change strategy and implement new tricks is always more exciting then loading Mavlad Magic Watering Cans.

Malaki

• Immortal
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 09:41:52 PM »
I always though it was a engaging part of the gameplay, mainly from the being neutral and being hunted.  I remember many wipes running as a neutral with a small group of friends, as well as tanking for just about any group i could get in to zone with, which for one reason or another would get me rolled up in pk fights n such which were fun.  And way back then when it was more prominent and acceptable.  Most of the time they would return your gear n stuff afterwards, if not just leave it there for you to go get. And alot of the time it was all in good fun and competion, where 20 minutes later we would be grouping up to go try a harder zone or load a book, or whichever.

I remember many a time being hunted/pk'd by BSP,WILD/Pick a clan since it was long before clan tags, and would have to go to the logs of long ago to remember all the other clans.

Later on as i started playing more serious and clanning, and running to get ranks and later on legendary, the competetion and decision to activley war / peace with other clans, always added an additional level of interest in the game.  Hunting, prepping, researching when and where people are, or half afk grinding a zone, then bam out of nowhere a 12 man rolls in and starts trying to lay waste.

But i think since the old/current balance of gear and grind for xp, and over all banhammer of any pvp / pk / fighting / warring.  It has long diminished honorable pvp and pking, which is why i suggested the bidding and arena, if given a acceptable place for the challenges to have merit and be decided.  Also more fun.

But overall more these days the people whining and guff talking back n forth are more annoying than the lack of action and logs.  Going to see new logs posted way back when was alweays fun to read and see, not to mention the adrenaline rush you gt when you just almost died in a pvp encounter, or a pk attempt on yourself or on someone else, and now you have their whole clan hunting after you.

Kadaj

• Zoner
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 10:15:09 AM »
RISE is definitely less crazy than they were but I'm talking like, MYTH or BST or something. It's not like people go out of their way to go PK people anymore.  What do people think about the arena system? Something where zero prep is available and it's just a straight x vs d where a few items are on the line.

I am just thinking of a way for pk to happen in a reasonable manner where the losing side loses all hope of fighting back. Could get a good rivalry going and actually bring other clans into the joy of PK.

Malaki

• Immortal
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 01:16:07 PM »
Id say leave pvp / pk the way it is, and then also add an arena or arena's that have different things/scenarios.

Fun ones for various things where you don't lose xp, or gear, kinda like the fun PVP teams and challenges they would do back in the day.  You sign up teams, get ported into a small square zone, with safe rooms on each end for each team, with a countdown till it starts, and you get a gear and prep bag so everyone's playing on the same gear / prep level and see who wins without gear loss xp loss etc, just overall fun.
(Would aslo give use to Vaults to vault your stuff before you port, or get auto vaulted for you etc)
-Free for all whos the best Barb, Warrior, Mage, whatever
-1v1 whos the best barb vs barb
-1v1 whatever character you have vs whatever character you want to challenge
-teams like 2v2 or 5v5 or full on 10v10
-More than 2 teams maybe 10 teams of 1v1 or some combination
-Winners would win xp or rank point percentages, but no one would lose anything.

Then the more real ones, where you can do various bidding which might be some combination of 1v1 or a whole group or groups vs everyone. Where bidding would / could consist of things like:
-Coins
-Specific Item or Items
-Transfer a non guild spell from losing character to a spellbook for the winners to use/study or sell, etc
-Transfer a Supurb skill level to a scroll or book for the winers to use (Losers of this would be reverted back to skill level awful and have to regrind to skill it up again)
-Transfer of character XP from the losers to the winners
-Transfer of Rank Points from the losers to the winners
-Deleveling to the losers
-Losers get a title for x days chosen by the winners
-Losers get x hours/days in the abyss
-Duct tape for a duration
-Or for when there is serious talking going down, settle it once and for all and put character deletion on the line
-Or maybe a less mean one for those that are to afraid to stand behind their crap talk, reborn as a lvl 1, but you keep all your spells and skilling if you were legendary etc, just have to re-grind all the way back up leveling xp.
-Or where the winner or last man standing gets all the gear on the ground so you have to decide what your wearing / carrying when you go into the challenge.

Either way i think building upon the already existing mechanics, and providing a fun and useful place to focus some of those grievances between people or clans or just to have fun and see where you rank at, or start learning the mechanics and balancing between different characters.  Being a Beefy barb with too many hp's and regen for a single mage to take down before theyre out of spells.  Would cut down on the crap talking and whining to as well, i think with an acceptable avenue to resolve or rechallenge.

Words..stuff..things
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 01:19:33 PM by Malaki »

Kadaj

• Zoner
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 01:34:47 PM »
I think to honor our new Australian overlord, let's get a god damn Thunderdome going. Two clans enter, one clan leave.

Dyl

• Zoner
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 03:00:56 PM »
I care, and I've always pushed the people I play with to care.  But most people don't want to lose their shinies, and regearing is hard and the gap between training gear and a weeks worth of work isn't worth it to some people.  So, I get described as bloodthirsty when I'd rather go hunt than zone for bad eq.

oom

• Fodder
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 03:15:04 PM »
I think to honor our new Australian overlord, let's get a god damn Thunderdome going. Two clans enter, one clan leave.

I never liked the arena idea but when you call it a Thunderdome I think I can get behind it!

Malaki

• Immortal
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 03:17:41 PM »
Haha nice.

+1 for Thunderdome.

JTPimpin

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 02:34:22 PM »
i have to say, nothing got my heart racing like knowing youre going into battle. Cant get rid of pk

fran

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 07:35:39 PM »
Try sex...or about anything in real life with any risk or exertion.

Nostramazos

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 12:41:01 PM »
Best solution by far is to give people the option to make NO-pk characters at creation. Limit the gear they can eq and whatever else people think necessary for this not to become an abuse. But really I cannot see how that can go wrong.

In effect it is happening already at a basic level with "my pk basher" vs "my main char" and you have bots and idiots spending hours trying to figure who is who.

As a Maza and BST, I would choose the option and waste my time on exploring without caring who's looking.

Nostramazos
ps come up with ideas what happens when a yes-pk group meets a no-pk group in a zone and we are set.