Author Topic: Broken PS2  (Read 1227 times)

Chisul

• Immortal
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Pax
Broken PS2
« on: June 11, 2016, 09:33:06 PM »
So I've been taking my 10 yr old son on a journey through the many Final Fantasy games starting with one of my personal favorites, FFVI. All was rose until my six year old dashed across the room, tripped on the controller cord, and yanked the PS2 onto the floor. The controller port and both memory cards got smashed into the PS2 with enough force to crack them...and the disk drive no longer opens and disks don't play.

I took a trip down youtube road and was able to get it put back together, but some disks don't read anymore. Not all...just some. Everything I have tried has been unsuccessful. Any help would be appreciated in that my son must slay the Kefka before I let him start chasing Sephiroth.

oom

• Fodder
Re: Broken PS2
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 08:08:17 AM »
Are you having problems with black disks only? You may need to realign the laser slightly or get your disks resurfaced.

It probably isn't recommended, but I flip about 4 or 5 PS2's a month on eBay, and have found a concentrated blast of compressed air right into the dvd slot will often get it working again.

If this doesn't work i'm sure there is a youtube video out there that will give you a less chance based method of realignment.

I have to say though, seeing as how the PS version of FFVI is already a remake, why not just order a usb SNES controller and let him play it through an emulator on pc. Honestly the SNES/PSX/etc emulators I have on my phone are pretty top notch as well.

Chisul

• Immortal
  • Zoner
  • Favorite Zone: Pax
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 09:04:05 AM »
Yeah its just the black disks and the compressed air trick seems to have done the job Thank You!

btown

• Elder
  • Favorite Zone: Palanthas Cornfields
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 01:19:21 PM »
Oom for overlord!  he can fix anything